Favorite P-Bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by freshmeat1989, Mar 10, 2004.

Read post BEFORE you vote!

Poll closed Mar 17, 2004.
  1. American

15 vote(s)
  2. American Vintage

12 vote(s)
  3. American Deluxe

10 vote(s)
  4. Classic

2 vote(s)
  5. Deluxe

3 vote(s)
  6. Highway 1

1 vote(s)
  7. Standard

6 vote(s)
  8. Vintage

8 vote(s)
  9. American

11 vote(s)
  10. American Vintage

5 vote(s)
  11. American Deluxe

4 vote(s)
  12. Classic

1 vote(s)
  13. Deluxe

3 vote(s)
  14. Highway 1

0 vote(s)
  15. Standard

7 vote(s)
  16. Vintage

14 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. It is a multiple choice poll! The first set of 1-8 is your favorite P, and 9-16 are P's most used by artists in general. What do you like about your favorite P-Bass?
  2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I like my Mexi P Bass because it looks cool, plays and sounds better that two Am made P basses I've owned (a '74 and a Am Hot Rodded P).

I have a DiMarzio Will Power middle pup on mine, but for vintage vibe, a MIM P with Lindy Fralin pickup can't be beat.

About the only other P bass that I like as much is the Sting...
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I voted American (standard) for both things, because i like it because its simple. Mostly maple fingerboards i like though.... It simple and has the clasic P bass tone. No bells and whistles.
  4. Just to get this cleared up Mexi P's are Standard P's right?
  5. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Yes. But you left off the Japanese Fenders (MIJ/CIJ). They too are excellent basses. I voted for the MIM because the ones I have had have been excellent. I also like the deluxe products as well.

6. I see you only list Fender basses.
    You should call this poll 'Fender Ps'.
    There is a lot of p wood with other names on you know.
  7. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    I said vintage, as that would be my ideal. However, I am exceedingly happy with my MIM Precision. Because it sounds great (has a quarter pounder and flats) looks great (Chromes and rickenbacker knobs) and plays great, (very broken in), also it is relatively inexpensive, and I think highly of products that do the job at prices that anyone can afford.
  8. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I prefer the sound and looksof older P-basses (70's), but I like the lighter feel of the MIA series. But if I had to choice one for sound and playability, it'd be the American Deluxe. Super nice tone and the preamp is decent. I'm gonna burn for that one.

9. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    I've owned a MIM, Steve Harris Sig, MIA and a 70's Ibanez copy.

The Ibanez was my favorite.
  10. Deepkick

Feb 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I have a P-Bass Elite II. Adorable build quality and plays suberbly.
    My next bass will be a passive MIM P-Bass standard, in which I plan to experiment with a variety of pickups.

11. I don't own a P-bass at the moment, but I did years ago.

If I were to buy another one, it would definitely be an American Vintage '57 or '62. I played a '57 about a month ago, and it took me back to the days in my friend's basement playing his 1965 Pre-CBS Precision. The tone was about as close as I think it's possible to get, and this thing sounded so good!

Deep, balanced, percussive and lively - the classic P-bass sound.
    The neck is a little wider (across the nut) than a regular P-bass, but this is how I remember my friend's old '65. I played the '57 in Sam Ash, but all things being equal, I'd prefer the '62 for its looks. http://www.fender.com/products/show.php?seek=electricbasses_americanvintage_precisionbass

I've played American and Mexican P-basses recently, and they all sounded good, some of them very good. But the '57 I played has the definitive P-bass tone that is on so many 60s and 70s records, and is the P-bass tone I was fortunate enough to experience first hand in my late teens/early 20s.

12. Do you have to drill new holes to put a pridge cover on?
  13. If you mean the '57 or the '62 - No. They come with both the ashtray bridge cover and the pickup cover the same as when they came out of the Fender factory in those respective years.

If you ever get a chance to check one out, do so. You will fall in love with the tone. ;)

14. funkcicle

Jan 9, 2004
    Asheville, NC
    I like my P-lyte... but I guess that's not really a P-bass :p
  15. Those are way out out my price range. I'm talkin a MIM P-Bass bridge cover.
  16. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    No price?

Lakland Bob Glaub.

Price considered?

Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub.

Dirt Cheap?

17. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I love my natural American P bass (like the one in the upper left corner of this page) :)
  18. Forgive me for being P-ignorant (imprecise? :)) but what is the difference between all these P-basses? The only difference I see on P basses is the body/pg style and the 2-strings-per-saddle bridge style of the real old P-basses.
  19. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I like my 2002 "off the rack" MIA P-Bass.