Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Favorite Pacino Movie?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bassline1414, Oct 16, 2002.

1. I've been renting a lot of Al Pacino movies lately because, well, he's fun to watch. I love his early work where he was more calm and reserved and I also love his newer over-the-top acting. I'd have to say my favorite Pacino role is either Michael Corleone from the first two Godfathers, or Sonny Wortzik from Dog Day Afternoon.

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    He's had some good roles. My favorite of the old Pacino is Tony Montana in Scarface.

It's harder for me to pick a favorite from '90 on. I'd say Lefty from Donnie Brasco or Lowell Bergman from The Insider. I openly admit that I'm swayed to say The Insider because the dialogue, directing and writing was so outstanding in that movie. Strange that he had such lame dialogue in Heat, which was a great movie from the same director as The Insider. Not even the great movie could save him from his (and his wife's) dialogue in Heat. His performance was characteristically over the top too. I think he largely avoided the "'hoo-ah!' over-the-top yelling guy" thing pretty well in The Insider and Donnie Brasco. Solid performances.

brad cook

3. No question. Michael Corleone. The Godfather.

In my opinion, he was horrible in Scarface. Not too bad in Sea of Love. Pretty good in The Devil's Advocate.

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i really like the "let me give you a little inside info on god" scene he does in the devil's advocate and i dig the "you can't watch my tv" scene in heat. i just love al when he goes off....awesome actor

5. I love the line in Devil's Advocate when Keaneau Reeves figures out that Pacino is Satan, and Pacino retorts with, "Call me Dad!"

Beautiful.

6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
  7. I really like Al Pacino as an actor, but I'm not too big on the gangster movies, so I vote for The Insider.

8. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    The Godfather films I liked best.
    Some other good Pacino Movies I liked:
    Heat
    Carlito's Way
    Scent of a Women
    Serpico

9. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    Michael Coleone...Godfather...great movie...I even like part III

10. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Heat and Devil's Advocate

11. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    ohh yes Al Pacino, no doubt that his role as Micheal Corleone in The Godfather (the greatest movie verver) is outstanding. ahh someday I will be an oganized crime boss....:eek:

12. Another vote for The Devil's Advocate. The 10 minute talk he has with Keanu Reeves just before the end of the movie was something you don't forget easily.

"God? Let me tell you a few things about God."*

While this isn't my favorite movie of all time, to me no other movie can come close to this one as far as *flowing* from one scene to the next. This is the best example of screen writing/editing working together I've ever seen.

And thank all of you for no mentioning Glengary Glenross. We all have differing opinions here, but, I thought this was one of the biggest pieces of garbage I've seen so many good actors in together.
    And it got all kinds of great reviews!

This is why I do not pay any mind to movie critics; except maybe in reverse. ;)

Mike J.

* OOpps. I didn't read your post before I wrote mine. But hey Neptoon, it just shows we think along the same lines. :)

13. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Godfather I and II

14. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Hmm, nobody said Dick Tracy.

15. You just did! :D

Mike J.

16. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Godfather I & II. Insomnia was excellent also.

His over-the-top stuff (Devil's Advocate, etc) is way too hammy for me. It's entertaining the first time you see it, but gets old quick, imo.

17. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    The Godfather and Sea of Love

18. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    Scarface,Godfather,Scarface,Godfather......

think i'll flip a coin.