Favorite Parametric Q and Frenquency point settings?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by NOLABASS, Jan 9, 2003.

Oct 16, 2002
    New Orleans
    I'm learning and playing with a parametric EQ. I now have a pretty good grasp of the mechanics of the EQ . I'm comfortable with finding the peaks, what frenquency points do what. I'm now just curious what the rest of you have as "pet" do's and don't frenquency points and Q settings. Cut , boost, and the like. Please speak in terms of octave settings (1 octave, 1.5 octave) as my Eq is labled that way. I have a Rane PE-15.
    Thanks in advance.~NOLABASS
  2. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Well, I can't speak in terms of octaves, but I have the parametric EQ on my SWR set as follows:

Along with the bass set at 3 o'clock and treble set at 1 o'clock. Aural Enhancer is at 3 o'clock. Gives a very nice sound. I like boosting the low mids and slightly cutting the high mids, gives a thick and bassy tone.

Oct 16, 2002
    New Orleans
    Thanks for the reply. I'm reading some "cheat sheet" stuff on Eq settings in genenral, like: to pull out muddiness, cut 40hz, to add prescense to vocals, boost this, cut that. The info is a real help, but I'm finding there are all sorts of harmonic, and fundamental frenquencies you can play with. So I'm curious what you as bass players dig. There are some standard 60hz, 120hz, 400hz, 800hz, 2khz, and 4khz it seems. But with a good parametric with multiple channels and Q settings, that can get real specific.
    -Do you find each bass has its own settings?
    -Is it better to have a 1/3 octave setting inn the lower frenqs. and 1.5 octave in the higher frenqs?
    -Do you set 4-5 differant points between 40hz and 400hz, and set 1 or 2 on the highs?
    -Do you split it up and how?
    -favorite boost this=this...or cut that=this settings.
    Example= I cut 60hz to hear my E string clearer, or I boost 2K when I slap....
    -Oh, and thanks again for reading this far....;)
  4. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    My favourite EQ is -6dB @ 800 Hz, 1.5 Oct.
    Makes every bass sound a little sweeter. If I'm slapping, I want to boost around 40 Hz and 6 KHz by about +3 dB, shelving. For fretless or for jazz soloing I boost +4 Db @ 220 Hz, 2 oct.

Oct 16, 2002
    New Orleans
    Cool, thanks. 6k I haven't tried.
  6. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I have a Behringer PEQ-2200 5-band full parametric. It has really helped me dial in a nice tone, AND solve some pesky problems that had been dogging me for some time.

Sure. Depends on what it sounds like un-EQ'd (they're all different, of course), and what YOU want it to sound like.
    If you're trying to do tone shaping -- either boosting or cutting -- wide Q's work best, 1.5 octaves or more, in both the lower AND higher frequencies. For bass guitar, you will find that Q is a pretty subtle change anywhere over 1 octave or so. Narrow Q's are for "notch filtering" -- cutting frequencies that are resonating in the room without affecting your overall tone too much. Depending on how your EQ is designed, radical boosts with narrow Q's can cause some really weird resonances, and they do not seem to "help" the tone that much.

The most useful cut I've found is around 250Hz. Gets rid of wooly mud -- seems like a lot of brick rooms reasonate at 250, and that is a REALLY annoying sound. But boosting 250Hz can also add punch and substance to your high notes -- C on the G string and above -- especially if you use lighter strings like I do. Depends on what the room is doing to you.

Really, the best way to use any EQ is to get out front in the house and listen to the overall mix. It's almost ALWAYS different than what you hear on stage. If you have a buddy who plays bass, have 'em sit in with the band while you cruise the room. Otherwise, a wireless can let you go out there while you're playing.
  7. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    3 to 5 bands of parametric EQ can really dial in - or out - pesky frequencies. I'm debating a PreSonus EQ-3B along with their Tube Pre and Comp 16 for my bass preamp.
  8. I've thought about getting one of those units for "room control" - it looks like a pretty good deal although I'm sure the Behringer bashers would lay on the hate. Any expereince with another EQ for comparison?

As far as the original question, I use a Yamaha NE-1 which gives a -10dB cut, I think it's Q=.3 (?), and I find a center around 2kHz cuts a lot of clank/clack/string noise.
  9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    room control and noise ... A used Rane, Symetrix, Ashley, dbx, etc will run between 50 and 100 on the Bay. Those are good sounding 'industrially built' components.

Your read on 2K works for me as well. It's generally in the 1.5 to 2.5 k area somewhere that I want a dip depending on the bass and cab of the moment. On a suggestion from Passinwind, I've been notching at 250 as well - at least live - that seems to help focus the lows by un-cluttering that low mid's - this is very room dependant though.

BTW - did anyone notice that the original post was from Jan of 2003 ? I have a feeling that Nolabass has moved on from this thread ...
  10. LOL that's funny, but nevertheless we can still keep talking about the subject.

The beauty of Talkbass.

Even funnier, it was revived by someone who said they just went flat EQ!
  11. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    damn, you guys make me GAS for a parametric EQ