Favorite pickguard style

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FunkSlapRumblefish, Jul 7, 2001.

1. FunkSlapRumblefish

FunkSlapRumblefish Guest

May 23, 2000
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm just curious as to what your favorite pickguard shape is? I am personally attracted to the oval shape of the Musicman Stingray's guard. It's unique from many others and just looks cool:)! Also, what pickguard 'finish' do you like most (i.e. pearloid, solid black, solid white, tortise shell, etc.)? Please feel free to share!

2. mentalretard27

Jun 14, 2001
    Im with you on the Musicman oval shaped pickguard. I love the black pearloid on darker colors, or tortise shell on the natural ash...very nice.
  3. I like the Jazz pick guard... and tortoise shell is definitely the color for me, especially on the black basses.

I wish more manufacturers would put pick guards on their basses. As far as I know it doesn't effect the tone, and it looks great to my eyes.
  4. I third the Ernie Ball pickguard. nice for alturnating stroks
  5. Sascrotch

Feb 18, 2001
    Costa Mesa, CA
    I like the Warwick pickguards...
  6. FunkSlapRumblefish

FunkSlapRumblefish Guest

May 23, 2000
    Charlotte, NC
    :D Yeah, those came in second for me :D
  7. I like the Stingray 5 string pick guards
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Warwick? Those pickgaurds are incredibly ugly. I myself prefer the Zon pickgaurds. Much better in the asthetics dpt.
  9. I wish they would make all pickguards illegal myself.
  10. berserk

Aug 24, 2000
    Parma, Ohio
    Fender Jazz Black Pearloid. It matches the chrome electronics cover very nicely :)
  11. For me acually Jaco's pickguard was close to first with me
  12. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    jazz pickguards. Colors vary for the style the bass is used & what color the bass is. thats all
  13. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The Urge II pickguard is pretty cool, IMO.
  14. I'll order a bass, hold the pickguard please.
  15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I don't like 'em, but the one on my Fender Roscoe Beck looks pretty cool ... for a pickguard. The only other pickguard I own is on my Stingray 5. Shoot, why do they even bother to put a finish on the bass? The 'guard covers most of the beautiful trans-red finish on it.
  16. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ditto. It's weird. They have a huge PG, but the thing is rear routed. Go figure...
  17. Rickenbacker ones, of course!
  18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

My favorite is the Pedulla Rapture pickguard, in tortoise. Fender Jazz pickguards are OK in black or white pearloid. Stingray Oval pickguard is also great.

What I don't like is the huge pickguard that they put on the Stingray 5. I'm with Munji. WHY?!?!?!?

Make a bass out of ash, put a transparent color finish over the wood, and then cover up 85% of the surface with a piece of plastic? Get a clue, Ernie Ball. Put an oval pickguard on there, or better yet, no pickguard at all!
  19. I wish I had a photo of my DB, the pickguard is sweet.