Favorite pickup selection method

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, May 13, 2002.

1. Toggle Switch

21 vote(s)
  2. Blend Knob

72 vote(s)
  3. Turn off/on by using volume knob

26 vote(s)
  4. On/Off switch (for everyone with a real vintage bass)

1 vote(s)
  1. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I was just wondering what system you perfer for switching between pickups.
  2. Definitely a blend knob. Most basses I've played with individual volume controls for each pup don't transition that smoothly from 0 - 10. Toggle switches offer neck - both - bridge and that's it. And after a few years they can get noisey; leave them on Les Pauls! :D

Not to hijack the thread, but, I really prefer basses with only one pickup. I just like simplicity.

Mike J.
  3. Nope no more basses with just one pickup for me... two pickups with blend and active eq ;)
  4. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    I second prefering basses with one pickup. Less time fidling with the knobs and more time playing bass.
  5. He said "toggle.":D

I go for blends when there is only 2 pups, but mine has (or at least WILL have when Portland Music gets off it's lazy a$$ and gets me my SJB-1b) three, and with the way I want it a toggle switch will give me the best results.

Rock on
  6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I always play with my volumes maxed. I want to switch as quickly as possible between neck, bridge or both pickups... that's why I prefer toggles. I only have three basses with this though, a G&L L2000E and a couple of older Tobiases.
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    YES! Blend knob rules! RULES!
  8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Back when I was hotrodding Precisions to PJs I preferred the following:

Master volume, J pup volume, tone

With this config I could dial in the bridge pickup to taste and be able to control that mix with the master. I never wanted the bridge pickup louder than the neck pup, so for my purposes a bridge volume is preferable to a true pan.

Most of my basses nowadays have master and pan... that's good enough, I don't feel the need to rewire 'em.
  9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

You need an RB5. :)
  10. For passive basses, I much prefer the mechanism used on the RB5. The 3 position switch completely isolates the unused pickup when the other is solo. This eliminates tone degradation resulting from impedance loading. I like the 3-position switch much better for changing to solo mode in the middle of a tune.

Blend pots, tone controls, and volume controls all contribute to impedance loading. The ideal solution for me is an active preamp like the J-Retro that isolates each pickup on its own high impedance channel, where it is not subject to impedance loading from tone controls or the other pickup(s).
  12. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I hear you! I only ever use two tones (bright and deep)...which One pup usually does for me anyway. Forget Toggle, just get a versatile single pup.

That said, I like toggles. I deal in different sounds in wholes, not degrees.
  13. But on my Bass the blend is very useful because there is one sound, which is a blend of both pickups in a specific ratio, is somehow better sounding to my ears than the other combinations.

And if I want to really switch sounds it has this great 3-Way Switch mid control (mid boost, mid cut, off).
  14. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I like the blend knob cause it allows you to blend betwen pups using just one knob, individual volume knobs makes that harder when you are playing and want to change the sound in the middle of a song.

:D (how´s my grammar??? call 1-800-I´m kindda drunk)
  15. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I usually have both pick ups maxed most of the time. Once in awhile I use a mix favoring the back or the front pick up depending on the song. I find the blend knob works better for me. Two of my basses have a blend knob and the Jazz has the standard two volume controls.
  16. I like everything on full. If I really need to select, I'd like a toggle switch.
  17. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I like blend knobs at this point, but as soon as i figure out my tone that'll probably change...
  18. hmmmm..... passive P basses. I dont think this poll really applys to me. :D

My Jazz bass, I keep both volume up full.
  19. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    A 5 way switch is is good for now, for my 3 J pickups. I'd prefer a blend knob though if it only had 2. Maybe 2 blend knobs would be cool though for 3 pickups...one to pan between the middle and bridge, and one to pan between the neck and the other 2....that'd be hella-complicated though, but more versatile.

Knobs look better than selector switches too. I like knobs.