Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Favorite Pizza

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jive1, Apr 4, 2005.

1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Let's give props to our favorite pizza joints.

My favorite is the South Side Chicago institution known as Palermo's.

Outside of Chicago, it'll have to be Pizzaria Uno.

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Illiano's in Old Lyme, CT-there's five Illiano's, but that one's the best. Big, wide, soft and sloppy-style pieces, heir cheese and buffalo chicken are wonderful.

Sunset Pizza in Norwich, CT. Greek style, small and thick crust, wonderful mushroom pizza.

My wife's cheese and buffalo chicken pizzas. Big and soft like Illiano's. Sometimes the ingrediants make for a so-so pizza, but when they come out good, they're wonderful.

3. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Cavonni's Pizza in Hillsdale, MI....food fit for gods...and a hot tight toned blonde to serve it.....if onlythey served beer :(

4. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Best pizza I ever had was on the island of Ustica (a short hydrofoil ride from Palermo, my grandparents were born there). They gather sticks and put them in this outside brick oven and cook it very slowly for hours. It turns out not looking like "pizza" as we know it. In the US it would probably be called a foccacia of some sort. Amazing pie - and the pesto wasn't too shabby either ;)

5. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I have the theme from The Godfather stuck in my head.

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

One of the best in NY i have had was a place on the conner of 7th and i think 32-30 i get fuzzy with numbers. :)

7. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI

Hehehe, it gets deeper than that. This is way off the topic but click on the Bertucci family on this page (biggest one on the island).
    http://www.ustica.org/genealogy/index.htm
    Scroll down a bit and look for a Maria (I know there's a lot) that married a Vincenzo Gambino in the late 1800's. Wild, eh?

8. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I've done the Chicago thing half a dozen times, including Pizza Uno and Lou Malnati's, its good stuff. But theres a place in Greektown (downtown Detroit) called Pizzapoppilas that tops them all. Nothing low fat about it! But it taste better day old and microwaved then most pizza freash. And it is extreemly filling, I still haven't seen an adult male put down more then three pieces!!! :cool:

9. I dunno if anyone has heard of New York pizza in Nesconset Long Island...they have the best spinach pizza ever

10. Never done the NY or Chicago thing, but there's an italian joint in my town called Basileos, I don't think that's the correct spelling though.

When I was in con. visiting colleges, my parents brought my bro and I back a pizza that looked like it was good, but I couldn't smell or taste it because I had a terrible cold.

11. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    You guys made me hungry. I have just nuked some left-over Uno's because of you guys.

Chicago style deep dish > floppy, wimpy NY pies
    :bag:

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Old School Pizzeria in downtown Olympia has really good thin crust pizza. Casa Mia is an Italian restaurant that has award winning pizza.

But, my favorite pizza is from a place not too far from Brendans house when he lived in Portland.....DeNicola's. It is Chicago style THICK crust pizza. Man, it is good. Every time we go to Portland, we stop by and have a pizza.

-Mike

13. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Pizza Hut all the way.

14. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    So, do you mean the the Uno's chain restaurants? I am guessing so since you said outside of Chicago. The chain stores are nothing like Uno and Due on the Gold Coast.

I prefer Tortorice's or Geno's, it depends on if I'm al fresco or not. I hate Eduardo's, which is odd because It is part of Geno's.

15. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    [​IMG]

I ate here (and subsequently took the pic to remember it) while on my Chicago trip just after new years. Very VERY good pizza. If you're in the city, it's a definite must eat!

Ray
    Edit: fixed pic link

16. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Where?

17. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Right there.

Ray

18. I have really bad taste in pizza. Give me Dominos or Papa John's. (flame on...)

PS: When I'm at UNO's, I usually oder a quesadilla... (oh no!)

19. John's Pizza in Spencer MA makes some great Pizza.
    Napoli in Sturbridge does as well...

I love Mousakka pizza, and Taco pizza lately, as well as garlic and chicken on white sauce pizza... heavenly.

I'm always on the look for good well made pie...not the over-cheesed Greek pizza, but some real deal birck oven stuff...Bertucci's isn't bad for overpriced chain-pizza, but there's a new joint in Sturbidge, D'errico's iirc, and they do authentic brick-oven... that's on my list this week.

evoo marinated diced tomato pizza brick oven style is the best in the world. Like a bruschetta, but with sauce and possibly a meat choice.

Damn, I love pizza.

20. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    The pic was not there before. I like Giordano's. There is one about 1/2 mile from me.