Favorite Rainey/Steely Dan tune

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Jul 25, 2002.

1. What's TBers' favorite Steely Dan tune on which Chuck Rainey played, and why?

Mine is a tossup between "Any Major Dude Will Tell You," for its JPJ-esque smoothness, and the lushness of "Peg."
  2. I like 'Kid Charlemagne' because the line is sooo killer. I want to transcribe it when I can find the time. I also like 'Home At Last's funky groove.
  3. are you sure Chuck played on 'Any Major Dude'? That is on Pretzel Logic, when they were still a 'band'?
  4. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    "Home At Last" and "Josie". Excellent bass work!
  5. hey Woodchuck, I'll see you tonight!!
  6. Yep, he's credited in the liner notes of the '99 remastered version. Walt and Don knew when to bring in the hired guns for maximum effect.
  7. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    My favorite track on Aja is the title track, mostly because of Steve Gadd though. It's a bit hard for me to hear Chuck when I'm listening in the car, but what I can hear going on in Peg is pretty tasty.
  8. sspear

sspear Supporting Member

That's a really tough call, sorta like asking what's your favorite Beatles tune. All his lines are so tasty
    but I've always had a love of the line in Ruby Baby on Fagan's NightFly album. It's funky in a real sophisticated way. That being said, the Dan is one of my favorite groups of all time.
  9. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "Ruby, Baby" is Anthony Jackson.
    Stay on topic! ;)

Without a doubt-
    Rainey was my favourite bassist back in that time frame.
    I was bummed when he went into semi-retirement mode(& Nathan East began getting those Rainey-type gigs).

Anyway, my favourite SD Rainey tracks-
    #1 WITH A BULLET..."Kid Charlemagne"

Very close is "Green Earrings" & "The Fez".
    "Josie" also makes the Top-4.
  10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    "Peg" and "Josie"... two examples of perfect basslines;)
  11. Josie is my fave , Geshel ,great call on Gadds work on Aja , that was truly the most memorable drum work I've ever heard.
  12. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Nice thread Pete! Aja (had it on 8 track!) was a major influence on me. I was about 16 when Aja came out and it blew me away! I have to say "Peg" and "Josie" are it for me. "Black Cow" also had a smooth, tasty groove. Gotta get my Dan discs back in rotation.
  13. steveg

Feb 26, 2002
    Madison, WI
    Another vote for Josie.
  14. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    this should be in recordings since its primarily asking about songs more than it is the bassist.
  15. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...and no props for Wayne!?

Aja seems to be the album of choice around here...I'm wondering how many have checked out The Royal Scam?
    If you haven't, trust me...if you like Aja, you'll like TRS.
  16. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Royal Scam is excellent! Of course, I'm biased, then being my favorite band and all!:D
  17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've got them all and play them all the time - in fact I was just thinking this is the only music I've listened to conistently since about 1976 - I've had periods where I've only listened to Classical/Jazz ,but I've always had their albums around - everybody always seems to like them as well - put on a Steely Dan album and everybody is happy - whereas almost everything else has lovers/haters - well that's been my experience anyway.

Oh, but I still like Aja best!
  18. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Another vote for Aja. Blackcow is definatley a great song with a tasty bass groove. I've been listening to a lot of Steely Dan latley.
  19. Just listened to Aja title track for the first time in quite awhile and JimK is right again (as per usual).
    All hail Wayne Shorter .WOW what a track that was!
  20. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Shorter & Erskine used to perform a 'similiar' duet(duel?) in live Weather Report shows.
    Said it before, I'll say it again- ;)
    ...I like the sax/drum duet thing(Coltrane/Ali on Interstellar Space = required listening!). ;)

BTW, there was a Hip-Hop group that sampled "Black Cow"...who was it & what was the name of the tune?