Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Favorite Recorded Tones and the Bassists Who Got Them

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by agreatheight, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Here are my favorite 5 bass tones:

Doug Pinnick: The waist deep distortion of "Ooh Song" on their 1992 King's X album. Favorite tone of all time! Gives me chills everytime!

Doug Wimbish: The rubbery fretless mwah of "Nothingness" - Living Colour's 1993 Stain album. Damn song made me get a fretless!

Muzz Skillings: The plethora of bass goodness on "Ology" - Living Colour's 1990 Time's Up album. Nice!

Robert Sledge: stompy fuzz on "Song for the Dumped" - Ben Folds Five's Whatever and Ever, Amen Album. Nice solo, too!

Adam Jones: The modulated angular then distorted tone of "Forty Six and Two" - Tool's 1996 Ænima album. Song still lulls me into an uncomfortable trance.

Obviously I am a rock guy, but I am interested in all in posting!

2. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    But Adam Jones plays guitar...

3. I may come back and edit with more, but here are some right off the top of my head:

John Entwistle: Live at Leeds/Quadrophenia--I'm pretty sure a maple-necked Precision on the former and Thunderbird on the latter.

Mike Watt: Double Nickles on the Dime--Maple necked Telecaster/Precision DI'd to the board?

"Ready" Freddy Jackson: Patrice Rushen's 'Forget Me Nots'--P-Bass again!!

Any question about what I play? Fender Precision, rosewood board right now, but lusting after a maple board P...

L

4. Although I'm mainly a P-bass guy myself, I'm absolutely knocked out every time I hear anything Joe Osborn played on his Jazz bass, flatwound strings and a pick. Although I understand he rarely, if ever used the bridge pickup.

I can be standing in the middle of the grocery store, hear Joe over the store speakers, and I crack a smile. :)

5. Oops, right you are - I always get the Tool guys confused, lol. Justin Cancellor was the bassist for tool on Ænema.

6. Not to Hijack this fine Thread, but I gotta give props for one of my favorite standout basslines: The 5th Dimension's "Aquarius/Let the Sun Shine In", great tone and really busts out of those car radio speakers!!

In the same vein: "Son of a Preacher Man" Tommy Cogbill; great tone, great line without totally taking over the track...

L

7. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Here are my faves:

Tony Levin - more or less anything he's ever recorded. But the tone on "People" by King Crimson is the best percussive bass sound I've ever heard, with the Funk Fingers.

Eddie Jackson (Queensryche) - The "Empire" album is chock full of great rock tones, including some nice fretless.

Simon Gallup (The Cure) - Fantastic, melodic and great tone (usually with lots of chorus!)

Tim Commerford (RATM/Audioslave) - J-bass tone on steroids. Not a big fan of his actual playing, but he knows how to get good tone.

Marcus Miller - THE quintessential modern slap sound, no contest.

Justin Chancellor (Tool) - Fantastic dynamics, crystal clear tone and inspired use of effects.

Doug Wimbish - Gets every tone you could ever think of, and loads that you didn't. Amazing sense of touch on the instrument.

Eric Avery (ex-Jane's Addiction) - Articulate P-bass-and-pick tone to die for.

Bob Daisley (ex-Ozzy) - ditto the above.

8. XO-Bionic,

Love all of those picks! All excellent! Would love to hear your tone - bet it kicks butt!

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Rob-
    KISS Forum closed down again?
    ;)

Any clue why Osborn played a Jazz & not a P? I think the Jazz was then marketed as an electric bass for guitarists(thin neck, etc)...just wondering since JO used but the neck pickup.

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Chuck Rainey-Everything he has done...90%+ of which was probably done with a Fender P-bass(or modified Fender P). Check out the Steely Dan albums(The Royal Scam, Aja) or the Aretha Franklin, Roberta Flack, Quincy Jones, Ralph McDonald, Richard Tee, etc stuff.

Paul McCartney-"Rain", "Paperback Writer".

Will Lee-Again, probably everything(Brecker Brothers, Spyro Gyra, etc)...a lot done on a Fender Jazz.

11. The bass player on the live version of Some Skunk Funk, is that Will Lee? I love his tone, very warm but also very defned in the mix. Sounds like a jazz bass to me.

12. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    yeah, i watched a peter gabriel concert dvd at a friend's house, and tony levin was playing a stingray 5 with funk fingers on some songs. his tone was really great.

also, the new version of Herbie Hancock's watermelon man. i have no idea who is playing, but it sounds really great.

anything Stanley Clarke has made. i know there are many guys here that don't like the alembic tone, but stanley's just had a charm that i can't resist listening to.

Marcus Miller's fretless tone on Sophisticated Lady off the silver rain album is another one i love.

13. Gotta agree with Robert Sledge. Highly underrated.

Geddy Lee's Jazz and/or Ricky on Moving Pictures - awesome album, killer tone. Its what I aim for 99% of the time.

Meeshell Ndgeocello on "Peace Beyond Passion". Sexy and distinctive - excellent!
    Graham Maby on Joe Jackson's "Body and Soul' album. Recorded on a Jazz in a huge Masonic Hall with all the real life ambience and depth - just an awesome recording!

And so many more.....

14. I believe it was because he had become acustomed to the P bass sound. When he was set to go on tour with Ricky Nelson in 1960, Fender was providing them with all the gear for the tour. He asked them for a Fender bass, thinking there only was one model (the P-bass). They sent him the brand new Jazz, and he was actually I bit ticked off at first. He probably just shut of the bridge pickup because that way it sounded closer to his old P bass. I guess he just became used to the neck pickup (only) sound.

15. PhR

PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    Finland
    If you mean the live version on "Heavy Metal Be-Bop", then it's not Will but Neil Jason.

One of my favourites is Doug Rauch's tone. He always got this slippery sound.

16. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    The first ones that came to my mind:

- Marcus Miller slap tone on "The sun don`t lie" (Panther and Teen Town for ex.)
    - Maurice Fitzgerald slap tone with Fred Hammond.
    - Flea on "Give it away" and "Mellowship slinky in B major".
    - Trip Wamsley on "Note to self".
    - Stuart Zender in the first Jamiroquai albums.

17. bassgiant15

bassgiant15 Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    Tim Commerford - He gets rad tone with RATM and Audioslave. His playing is pretty tight too.

Les Claypool - I dig his tone on the "Pork Soda" album. My Primus fav. 'The Awakening' is pretty sick too.

Flea - The tone he has on BSSM is so tight. His tone is one of the reasons i got a Stingray!

Marcus Miller - Slap tone is right on! Say no more.

Justin Chancellor - I'm not a pick player, but his tone on the Aniema is pretty freaking awesome.

Rex Brown - Another pick player, but great tone on 'Far Beyond Driven' and 'The great southern trendkill'

Ryan Martinie - 'L.D. 50' has a great tone for a metal album. its up front, in your face, and his playing is amazing!!

18. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Geddy Lee Basically any tune from Power Windows, Hold Your Fire, Presto or Roll the Bones, his "Wal period". But lets say Force Ten or Prime Mover. Just such a fat, but clean sound. Amazing, it has such depth and character but also a resounding clarity.

Vail Johnson The "Says Who?" album. Pure Kubicki tone, bright, clear but with a fat, resounding low end. very clean and pure, I just love it!

Stanley Clarke The tune "bassically taps" from the "If this bass could only talk". Such a bright, clear tone it's almost edible! Also, his "mute" sound is to die for, but thats all in the hands!

Stuart Hamm Another Kubicki user, with a very bright tone. I'm not going to go into his "Urge II" tone, I don't love it, apart from the track "Futher down market" from the Outbound album. From his first two albums, his premium tone is on the track "Kings of Sleep". It's bright, clear and deep, perfect! From the Urge album (which is when he had a precision pickup added to some of his Kubicki basses), it would have to be Lone Star. Although this track is still pretty much "straight up" Kubicki tone, just knowing that P bass pickup is there makes it sound fatter in my head!

19. Jimmy Haslip on 'The Spin', particularly 'Prayer for El Salvador'.

20. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Rocco Prestia of Tower of Power. The ultimate P Bass funk sound imo.

Stu Zender of Jamiroquai. Modern funker with a great tone.

John Patitucci of everyone! He's great, I know a lot of people don't like his tone, but I think it's wonderful.