Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Favorite recording w/Chris McBride?

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by peteroberts, Dec 4, 2002.

1. I'm really starting to dig Chris McBride, his tone is wonderful...the only ones I have are the Diana Krall CD w/him and Russell Malone (too bad, she is mixed WAY in front, can hardly hear Russell), and Joshua Redman's 1st record. What else should I get?

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    "Sci Fi" and "Philadelphia Project"

3. I love his version of OP's "Night Train".

4. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    The Philadelphia Experiment.

5. sean p

sean p

Mar 7, 2002
    eugene, oregon
    hey fellas,

i have this record and haven't really enjoyed it yet. what do y'all like about it?

peterrabbit,
    if you're looking for cm's acoustic tone, philadelphia experiment ain't the right tree to bark up. he plays electric almost exclusively.

i think he sounds good on the 'superbass' records with ray brown (no slouch) and john clayton (can play bass).

sean p

6. Fred W

Fred W

Feb 21, 2002
    Bronx, NY
    Joe Henderson "Lush Life; The Music of Billy Strayhorn". There's a sax-bass duet thats real strong. This album won a Grammy, so Joe lived well for his last years. Nice to have seen one of the so many deserving get it.

7. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    He does great work on Cyrus Chestnut on "Soul Food", and also with Gary Burton on "For Hamp, Red, Bags, and Cal"

jd

8. oystein

oystein

Sep 15, 2001
    Norway, Leikong
    Check out Christian's playing on Sting's DVD/video "All this time". His playing is impeccable.

Oystein

9. I really enjoy his first solo album Gettin' To It it features some tasty solos from Josh Redman too and McWow's solo version of Night Train. Also love the old school soul Motown type jaunt of his entitled A Family Affair. It is definitely some mouthwatering booty shakin' s***. I believe all of Christian's solo albums are on the Verve record label. He also plays with pizzazz on Donald Harrison's Nouveau Swing on Impulse Records. This sounds like I'm swinging on his balls, but what can I say? He's one of my idols.

10. Vertical Vision:cool:

11. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    To each his own. I love Chris' playing, but this recording is just tedious to me. I got an advance copy, declined to review it, and gave it away.

I'd rather listen to stuff like his first solo recording, where critics pounded him for not doing anything new or different and rehashing straight ahead jazz than listen to him rehashing 80's Chick Corea and the Electic Band type stuff.

Monte

12. twig

twig

Aug 5, 2001
    London UK
    For McBride playing staight ahead jazz, check out
    "Parker's Mood" on Verve.

Roy Hargrove, Trumpet
    C.McBride, Bass
    Stephen Scott, Piano

Some very good solo, duo and trio playing.

If you liked "Getting to it" then you'll like this.

13. By not having a drummer, "Parker's Mood" affords great opportunity to fully hear the instruments. Every nuance of McBride's tone comes through. I especially liked being able to clearly hear his arco solos.

14. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Parker's Mood is an awesome album. I have ordered and am eagerly awaiting a copy of "Fingerpainting" which has a guitar/bass/trumpet trio playing Herbie Hancock's tunes.

Adrian

15. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    This is very cool as well, although I admit that I like the music in smaller doses than the whole record. After the first 30 minutes, I kind of glaze over.

Really really good playing on this.

Monte

16. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    My wife downloaded this album off Emusic.com for me - it's great, and the trio setting really lets you hear Christian's tone.

17. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    fingerpainting is my favorite by a mile - 2nd to that would be gettin' to it. then a family affair.

i don't really like the philly experiment very much.

haven't heard verticle visions.

i also like the live benny green that CM plays on at age 17.

-erik

18. Q-Phonix

Q-Phonix

Sep 28, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I like his work on the John Scofield album "works for me". My favorite track is "I'll catch you". It has a funky upright riff in the begining.

19. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    This is nothing fancy but I really dig him playing with Jimmy Smith on "Stolen Moments."

20. There's a Benny Green CD with McBride and Russell Malone titled "These Are Soulful Days". McBride is recorded au natural; lots of woody tone, nifty solos both arco and pizz.