Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

favorite recordings to play along with?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by dancehallclasher, Jul 22, 2000.

1. i love to throw on "...and out come the wolves" by rancid and imagine i'm in the band, playing along. what albums do that for you?

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I like the Beatles' Rubber Soul The Beach Boys' Pet Sounds ('Sloop John B' and 'God Only Knows' are harder than they seem) and the Rhythm tracks of the "Standing in the shadows of Motown" recordings.

Will C. [​IMG]

------------------
    I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy.
    -BW

3. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    USA
    anything from the minutemen, meatpuppets, or if the song is simple enough to jump around to and stuff, that makes it good to play along to

4. I like to put on some Metallica.. preferably Kill 'Em All and Ride the Lightning and play along to every song (I know) and picture myself playing with 'tallica as cliff =)

-Willz

5. Here's a good one for funk-jazz.. "Cold Spell" by Wayne Horvitz and Zony Mash. It's on Knitting Factory records. Killer grooves.
    Also anything by Medeski, Martin and Wood, Jamiroquai, the Minutemen, fIREHOSE, Big Drill Car or Green Day.

6. Anything by Phish. You can jam along with Mike and then go back and come up with your own parts.

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Speaking of Phish, try playing along to Trey Anastacio's SURRENDER TO THE AIR cd(w/ Oteil & Kofi Burbridge, Jon Fishman, & a couple guys from Sun Ra's Arkestra)...I guarantee ANYTHING you play will fit! [​IMG]

8. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    USA
    im glad to see someone else enjoys playing along with the minutemen, i especially like playing along with anything on double nickels on the dime, thats got some sweet grooves on it

9. BassIsBest

BassIsBest

Jun 7, 2000
    Every song on Limp Bizkit's "3 Dollar Bill Y'all" has got a great bass line in it. I love to play along with that CD. Clunk! Clunk! clunk cluck!!

low C# 0 2 3 0 2 3 0 234 023 real fast!

10. Speedbird

Speedbird Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Northern Virginia
    1)The first four Black Sabbath albums
    -I jump between the guitar parts & Geezers bass.
    2)The blues jam a long for bass cd on e-bay
    3)classical music works well
    4)I used to jam with Rush but I just can't stand the singers voice.

11. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I'm partial to most songs on Faith No More's album "Angel Dust" especially "MidLife Crises." I also enjoy playing along to Kenny Wayne Shepard's first album and some of Limp Bizkit's songs. Jason Oldsted

12. frost13

frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    Anything by BB King, ALbert King, or Johnny Winter for playing some blues. Also...the best of YES, for stretching out a bit.

13. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I used to throw on "Gates of Delirium" from Yes. It was a good 20 minutes of stuff to try and figure out in one setting. I think I almost had it at one point. The thing I always like about Chris Squire is that he really changes pace a lot...in fact, the more I go back and listen, the more I remember how much I like him. He goes from fast to slow, complex to basic, and has this incredible sense of phrasing.

14. FleaisGod

FleaisGod Guest

Jun 18, 2000
    Atlanta, GA
    I love to pop in RHCP Californication, and play along to the 3 or 4 songs I know off of it, Rage against the Machine is fun as well. I find myself getting a little too into it sometimes jumping around and stuff :)
    -Woody

15. Scok

Scok

Apr 20, 2000
    Iron Maiden, Aces High and Ryme of the Ancient Mariner Baby!! Oh ya going to see their outrageously expensive ticket price tour in 3 weeks.

16. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    I love to play along with The Newsboys, DC Talk, The O.C. Supertones, and Five Iron Frenzy. I love the moving style basslines that you get in ska music!

17. I like to die my hair pink, Wear a long skirt and no top, play power of equality and jump around like mad!!!!
    Just kidding.

I like to play all of BloodSugarSexMagik, All of evil empire, A lot of classic chili's (higher ground, true men don't kill coyotes etc) i like to just 'freestyle' to songs that are simple like lit, just add fills and improvise.