Favorite Renaissance Artists?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Oct 5, 2002.

1. Botticelli

2 vote(s)
  2. Bronzino

1 vote(s)
  3. Caravaggio

3 vote(s)
  4. Cimabue

1 vote(s)
  5. Giotto

1 vote(s)
  6. Da Vinci

8 vote(s)
  7. Filippo Lippi

1 vote(s)
  8. Masaccio

1 vote(s)
  9. Michelangelo

9 vote(s)
  10. Raffaello

3 vote(s)
  11. Titian

1 vote(s)
  12. Piero Della Francesca

1 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. I have been studing the Renaissance, and i just wanted to see what your favorite artist were/are. My favortie are Botticelli, Caravaggio, and Da Vinci.

If you have a favorite piece of artwork, feel free to post it.
  2. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I voted da Vinci....mainly because he's the only one whose works I am familiar with.
  3. I'm more of a Surrealist kinda guy. But Leonardo does have some pretty hep drawings.

Francesca isn't bad either.
  4. Listen

May 19, 2002
    My favorite is Claude. He does unreal scenery paintings.
  5. Caravaggio. Known for his correctness//subject matter and lighting, set him way above the other artist you have listed...Plus he was so unhetrosexual!
  6. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Rick Turner.

Seriously, Carravaggio. In addition to his art, the man was a noted pugilist. To this day, no one knows what his real name was.
  7. David Watts

David Watts

Aug 12, 2002
    If anyone is interested in viewing some artwork, here is a great site. I try and peruse it as often as I can.

Have any of you ever seen the version of Caravaggio's 'the calling of saint matthew', which features the beatles as subjects?
  8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Leonardo and Titian would be my favorite Renaisance artists; Titian for his paintings-particularly his later work which is much more expressionistic, and Leonardo for his draughtsmanship; I've never been too impressed with Leonardo's paintings.

BTW, Caravaggio actually falls under the category of a Baroque artist, not Renaisance.
  9. Blux

Feb 5, 2002
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Michaelangello's less know Pieta has a beauty (when seen inperson) that is something more than how it looks.
  10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I love Mikey's Pieta, but I've never seen that version of one before. Looks like he spent maybe five hours on it-Mary looks like she's got a goatee.
  11. I got with Da Vinci. I thought that his sketchs and notes were more fascinating than his artwork, though. It gives a good window into what he was thinking.

Rock on
  12. Da Vinci, you can see a great influence from him in my sketches...
  13. Annie Haslam. Sorry.

I voted for Michelangelo
  14. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    It has to be Michelangelo for me. I spent some time in Italy in 99, and after seeing work by many Renaissance artists, Michelangelo's work always left me in awe.

I remember staring at the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, motionless, for an hour and a half. It felt like ten minutes. His work is beyond words.

Honoralbe mention to Botticelli.

My favorite piece, at the Uffizi in Firenze.

15. i agree with jazzbo on this one. I may seem very fickle about my choice of artists, so please excuse me. Michelangelo is at the top of the hill IMHO. But, i still have a lot of paintings to research, so what i like one day may change the next.
  16. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Michelangelo is quite a special case because he sculpted the most well-known sculpture (the David) AND painted probably the second most well-known painting in the world (Sistine ceiling). He actually did not like painting; he considered himself a sculptor, and was sort of roped into doing the Sistine Chapel by the Pope. I really need to go to Italy.
  17. I like Durer, he's more northern Renaissance. My favorites are his water color rabbit and his self portrait.
  18. Culture, culture I love it!

Of the Renaissance painters, I gotta go with Mikey boy.

But, The Renaissance isn't really my bag, check out the Pre Raphaelite scene. This is my favourite period/style of painting.

My favourite has to be John William Waterhouse - see his stuff below:

I mean you can almost HEAR the wind in that one!

Sleep and his half brother Death - What a concept!

Note that each girl's face is almost identical. He got hung up on some of his models.

Here's the site with all his paintings. Worth the time to check out: http://ocaiw.com/water.htm

My next favourite: Sir Lawrence Alma-Tadema
    Here's the site: http://ocaiw.com/alma.htm
    Also worth the time to check out.
    My fav of his: A favourite custom.
    Look at the ripples in the water and the way the marble looks. So realistic.

And a link to a Pre-Raphaelite site: http://nouveaunet.com/prbpassion/

A guy worth checking out is Sir Edward Bourne-Jones, although they're all good.

Freaky, if you like, print this out and ask your teacher to have a comparrison between the two periods. Let me know if you do, and what he/she says. Maybe they'll be extra points in it for you. :)

Mike J.