Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Favorite Replacement Bridge

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BlackNeckJspl, Feb 2, 2003.

1. Badass I

3 vote(s)
    5.8%
  2. Badass II

21 vote(s)
    40.4%
  3. Gotoh 201 4 String Bass Bridge

11 vote(s)
    21.2%
  4. Gotoh 206 4 String Bass Bridge

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Schaller 463 - 4 String Bass Bridge

8 vote(s)
    15.4%
  6. Hipshot

3 vote(s)
    5.8%
  7. 2-tek

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  8. ABM

4 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. BlackNeckJspl

BlackNeckJspl

Dec 14, 2002
    Indiana
    Since being a member of talkbass I have heard over and over again that replacing a stock bridge gives your bass better tone. I have found these different bridges on the web. I am wondering what the advantages of each are?

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    You're not going to see a HUGE difference in tone. You may notice a bit more sustain, but don't expect radical differences. I bought my 201 to remedy the wobbly E string saddle on my stock Fender bridge. For $20, it was well worth it.

3. How about a Hipshot or maybe a 2-Tek bridge.

4. i've got the hipshot on my MIM Jazz, nice, light, great sustain, stronger tone

5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Most people like the badass2.....

6. My Badass II created a noticable difference in the sound, sustain, and feel on my MIM P-bass. :cool:

7. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Of those mentioned, I prefer the Badass II, but I'd put an ABM over those in the poll.

8. About 2 years ago, I replaced the stock bridge on my Fender Jazz with a Schaller 4 string. It's a little bit lighter than the Badass 2, but it allows for string spacing adjustments, which I really like. I've had the 5 string version of it before so that's why I went with it. It's got a really classy look to it too.

That all being said, you can slap any bridge on a Fender and it's the simplest, most immediate, and (usually) cheap improvement one can make.

9. BlackNeckJspl

BlackNeckJspl

Dec 14, 2002
    Indiana
    Anybody know where you can find Hipshot, 2-tek, and ABM bridges on the web?

10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    By request, Hipshot, 2-tek, and ABM added to the poll.

11. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    This fits in with a question I had a while back that nobody responded to.

I want a bridge that gives me the same spacing, radius, and ability to choose between top-;oading or through-the-body stringing as a Lakland, but without the hideous, gigantic oval baseplate.

What bridge am I describing?

12. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    My favorite:

ETS Tuning Fork 3D bridge

[​IMG]

13. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The Badass II is popular because it was the first big replacement bridge that was made generally available as a "drop-in" replacement for the original low-mass Fender bridges. I've had basses with the Badass II bridges on them (I still own one) and I do not like the bridge at all. First of all the saddles need to be notched for the strings, this is something best left to a professional set-up luthier. Without the notch your strings can wobble around on the bridge. Secondly, Once notched, you're stuck as far as string spacing is concerned. You'll have to get replacement saddles and renotch to adjust.

My first bass with the Schaller bridge was my Peavey Dyna-Bass 5. I was so impressed that I got a 4 string version for my homemade franken-P. When I had the custom jazz bass in my avatar built, I specified this bridge. The only problem with it is that the bridge saddles which you use for spacing tend to move when I install strings. Easy to fix. Thing is the Schaller's not a "drop-in" Fender replacement, it needs new screw holes. It's also fairly expensive, particularly compared to the Gotoh (the replacement bridge I would personally recommend on a budget).

All that said, I'm perfectly happy with the bent metal Fender stock bridge. From my experience I think the difference between a high mass bridge and a low-mass one is extremely subtle, and often greatly overstated here and elsewhere. Yes, you may get a little more sustain, but who needs it? When are you going to hold a note that long? Answer: NEVER. There's nothing wrong with the sustain offered by the low-mass Fender units.

I personally think that a new bridge on a Fender style bass is for the most part a waste of money. But I will say this, the Badass II bridge sure looks cool. Appearance definitely counts for something in my book, and if you like the look, it may be worth replacing for that alone.

14. badass II for the surface mounted fender bridge replacement certainly as the screw holes match
    but for other makes there seems to be a lot better made and finished bridges
    like my schaller..

15. I like the Gotoh 201. I don't care about any increased sustain or anything. The big selling points for me were: a) the grooves for the saddle screws, so the saddles don't shift around; b) it looks cooler (more chrome) than stock; c) it was only $20.

16. BlackNeckJspl

BlackNeckJspl

Dec 14, 2002
    Indiana
  17. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  18. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
  19. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    I'll second that, The BadAss II I put on my MIM P-special definately improved the sound and sustain. The Gotoh 201 is a close second though, I have one on my Essex BG-80.

GS