1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Favorite RUSH era??

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by HeavyJazz, Oct 22, 2013.

Most profound RUSH era (to you)?

Poll closed Jan 20, 2014.
  1. Rush - All The World's a Stage (74-76)

22 vote(s)
    17.5%
  2. Farewell to Kings - Exit Stage Left (77-81)

68 vote(s)
    54.0%
  3. Signals - A Show of Hands (82-89)

27 vote(s)
    21.4%
  4. Presto - Different Stages (90-98)

4 vote(s)
    3.2%
  5. Vapor Trails - R30 (02-05)

3 vote(s)
    2.4%
  6. Snakes & Arrowns - Clockwork Angels (07-12)

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  1. HeavyJazz

HeavyJazz Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Virginia
    Here's an interesting poll question for the multitudes of Rush fans out there:

What era of Rush's career did you find the most compelling (as categorized above)?

2. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    Depends!! :) right now likely Kings through Exit. But I wish you included Signals in that grouping!!!

3. Pelham Bleu

Pelham Bleu All you need is fuzz.

Apr 4, 2013
    Chicago, IL

No. 2 era. It has Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures.

4. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Always very fond of Signals and Grace Under Pressure. That era makes me feel 15 again.

5. I'd be surprised if it's even close...AFTK - ESL for sure.

6. There were no dogs in '77-'81. Every track on those cds is great and extremely listenable especially to bass players. If there was a Power Windows to Roll Bones (or Counterparts) era that would have been a strong second for me.

7. Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Jun 7, 2013
    If I were breaking down their different eras, I would have chosen what I call their "progressive" era, basically 2112/Farewell/Hemispheres, as my favorite. As the poll stands, I chose 77-81.

8. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Caress of Steel thru Hemispheres for me.. "The Prog Years"

9. HeavyJazz

HeavyJazz Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Virginia
    I tried to stick with their handful of albums followed by a live recording format. The exception being post-Different Stages when there was a live album for virtually every tour. I seperated the final (to date) era as more or less the "Nick" or "L.A." years.

10. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I had a roommate in college who was a complete Rush head. He got a copy of their first album shortly after it was released, and would play it regularly. So I became acquainted with them early - very early.

But it took me about six years before I finally warmed up to Rush, with the release of Permanent Waves. IMO, that was their quantum leap forward. Very impressive stuff. Especially the track Natural Science. :cool:

Moving Pictures was even better. Their new, more mature, more sophisticated style had really evolved. Wow. I was hooked.

Signals was a slightly lighter, less serious follow-up, but with some excellent tracks. I still love to listen to Signals often.

Most of their stuff from that point on through the end of the Eighties is really good and quite groundbreaking. Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows are two that remain greatly under-rated and under-appreciated, IMO.

My interest in Rush began to wane somewhat after around 1987 or so. So for me the band's "golden era" was really about an eight-year period, from Permanent Waves to Hold Your Fire. (But I still like them a lot.)

MM

11. bodmin

bodmin

Apr 1, 2012
    Germany
    This was quite difficult for me, as i like most of their stuff, but I went with the crowd, Kings to ESL.

12. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Fly by Night was the start of the Neil Peart era, with the epic songs, sword and sorcery/fantasy/sci-fi lyrics, and really unconventional playing. Screamin' Geddy was at his peak, and for me, that peak lasted right up until Hemispheres. All the World's a Stage is one of the greatest live albums ever recorded. Quite minimal; just three guys rocking it out in a very unique way.

I chose A Farewell to Kings through Exit Stage Left, because this was Rush doing some seriously great albums, but for me, I could've included every album except the debut. The debut is great, but in a different way, and far beneath an experimental album like 2112 or Caress of Steel. For me, Signals was the end of Rush, the band I loved.

They had changed, and become more low-key, and I didn't like it. I saw that tour, and Grace Under Pressure, and never went to see them again.

But I still love those guys, and have listened with renewed interest to some of their later work. I miss Screaming Geddy with all my heart, but I understand why he is gone, and I know he is never coming back.

The man still plays bass really well, and as long as he's got those other two guys, he will be worth listening to.

13. rupture

rupture

Jan 27, 2012
    making my own era PW through grace

14. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

I like it all. REALLY.

15. Hawkbone

Hawkbone

Mar 23, 2009
    Newfoundland
    Rush - Clockwork Angels.. it's all good

16. I voted for the Farewell To Kings - Exit Stage Left era, since it had in my opinion their best work, including their longest songs, from Xanadu to The Camera Eye, but especially what I consider their 'Magnum Opus', Cygnus X-1 Book 2: Hemispheres.

17. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    There's two PW's!! :)

18. Bruins29

Bruins29

Jun 7, 2009
    Chicago
    Signals - SOH for me. Just too much quality there and easily Gedds bass work on PW and HYF. Grace Under Pressure is just too stellar to pass up also. Such a cool album and HYF still might be my fav overall.

God, I remember 1989 like it was yesterday the day I bought the Show of Hands CD and just thought it was the coolest thing. I was walking around Boston with my discman, I must have worn out the VHS of it as I just played it over and over and over.

19. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Sep 11, 2012
    Chicago
    Hemispheres and Permanent Waves

20. TheJetsFan4Eva

TheJetsFan4Eva

Apr 4, 2012
    whatever era that included hemispheres. god that album is a work of art