Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Favorite singer/songwriters

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by page, Oct 13, 2005.

1. This is a classic indeed, who are yall's favorite singer songwriters?
    Name em and tell what your favorite album of theirs is.

Mine are:

Cat Stevens: Firecat and Teaser , this album is pure, simple and genius. My favorite songs on it are The Wind and Morning Has Broken.

Tom Waits: RainDogs but it changes everyday. Tom is amazing and I wish I was half as cool as he is. He displays saddness like no other.

Joe Strummer :Global a Go-Go, not what you'd expect from the father of punk but its great anyway. Usual political lyrics but instead of raging punk rock its more like folk/roots rock/ reggae. Joe is brilliant to me.

Lou Reed: Coney Island Baby, a great album and a great artist, he was one of the first avant garde rock writers and he always wrote awesome lyrics.

Van Morrison - Astral Weeks, majestic and beautiful , van is a truly gifted at love songs.

Nick Cave- Murder Ballads, an evil ladiesman of sorts ..........cool as hell.

Jim Croce- awesome pop songwriter , died too early

and

Carly Simon: Live, Go ahead and laugh, but my mom got me hooked on Simon.........im a big fan.

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Richie Havens, no explanation is needed
    Sam Beam, dude responsible for Iron and Wine
    Johnny Cash, the original OG
    Steven Von Till, similar to Lanegan vocally, but I did him more

Also, the guy from Boxharp.

and a ton of others that escape me at the moment.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Ahem...

Harry Nilsson

4. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Paul McCartney
    John Lennon
    Warren Zevon

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I don't necessarily think of McCartney and Sting as "singer/songwriter" as much as "band leader/songwriter". They both have formidable singing skills as well as songwriting chops, but I can't imagine them touring solo with an acoustic guitar and/or piano.

My favorites who write brilliant music and are just as (or more) "at home" with an acoustic guitar or piano as they are with a band are:

Bruce Cockburn
    Joe Jackson
    Sam Phillips
    Maria McKee
    Marshall Crenshaw
    T-Bone Burnett (who sadly hasn't done an original album for well over a decade)
    I'm not laughing, Carly Simon is brilliant.

6. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    ...I'm bringing this back:

1. Neil Young (Harvest, After The Gold Rush, Everyone Knows This Is Nowhere, Rust Never Sleeps, Freedom) I couldn't pick just one! One of the greatest songwriters ever, in my opinion, and a fantastic guitar player.

2. Matthew Good (Avalanche) I'm sure many of you haven't heard of Matt Good, but seriously check out his stuff. Avalanche is an incredible album. Lyrics are incredible, as is his voice.

3. Cat Stevens (Cat Stevens [Box Set]) I only have his box set, but his music is very - at the risk of sounding cliche - uplifting.

Graeme

7. bassguitarist08

bassguitarist08

Jun 12, 2006
    Bon Jovi/Richie Sambora: Any Album But H.A.N.D.

Bryan Adams: Room Service

Guns N' Roses: Appetite for Destruction

Aerosmith: ahhh crap I forget..Greatest Hits??

8. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Eddie Vedder, Johnny Cash, Mark Lanegan....and some others i cant remember now.

9. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    i dunno if these are the best really on my list but off the top of my head:

ben harper & jeff buckley

10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Very happy to report with the resurrection of this thread that T-Bone Burnett has released a fantastic new album. Highly recommended to all!

11. stratology

stratology

Jun 11, 2006
    Ireland
    Tori Amos

12. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Bob Dylan is THE poet of our time.

13. Martin Sexton

go to www.Martinsexton.com