Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Favorite SIT Strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassplayer7770, Dec 2, 2002.

1. For those of you who love SIT Strings, which ones do you like best, and why? I've tried the Silencers and Powerwounds on my basses, and I definitely prefer the Powerwounds. The Silencers are nice, but I'm not much for the flatwound-ish sound on my main bass (Reverend Rumblefish currently). The next set I'll try on my Rumblefish are Nickel Rock Brights.

On a side note, I've also tried DR Sunbeams and Nickel-Plated Lo-Riders on my Reverend, but I can't justify the extra price. The SITs are more affordable and still sound great IMHO.

2. blindman

blindman

Aug 14, 2002
    Stow,Oh.
    I've had a set of nickel Powerwounds on my Ibanez SR305DX for about 2 months now.I think I'll try the steels next.There is too much thud on the B string for my tastes.Other than that,these are wonderfull strings.I rarely need to retune.The other 4 strings sound great!

3. Yeah, I'm falling more in love with the Powerwounds on my Reverend 4, but I'm eager to see how I'll like the Nickel Rock Brights. Have you tried the Taperwounds on your 5-string? Perhaps that will help with the "thud" on the B. It's the same guage as their normal Powerwound set, but the B (and E I think) is tapered.

4. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    I have the rock brights on my Buscarino 5, and I lub them. they're the only string that's really lasted for longer than a couple of weeks (acidy hands). Only problem is the chorusy B which I'd need a taper for but they don't make tapered rock brights :(

5. blindman

blindman

Aug 14, 2002
    Stow,Oh.
    I haven't tried the tapered strings.Maybe that would be the answer.I really do like S.I.T. strings though.And it's nice having them in my own back yard.I like the feel of the nickel strings so I'll give the tapers a try.Thanks for the tip.

6. I won't have the B problem on my 4-string, but I look forward to trying out the Nickel Rock Brights on my Reverend.

Has anybody here tried both Powerwounds and Rock Brights? If so, how would rate them? Just curious.

7. Yeah, I live in Ohio too, so it's nice to see that they're so close by. I really don't see much of a reason anymore to buy more expensive strings because I like the SITs just as much. However, I'm sure with every new bass I purchase I'll at least give DR Sunbeams and Nickel-Plated Lo-Riders a try and compare them to SITs.

I hope the Taperwounds do the trick for you. Perhaps Dirty Road Cola should also give them a try.:)

8. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I've recently acquired a used reverend 4 string--came w/ flatwounds of unknown mfg (red on the windings if that means anything)--man is that thing bright, even w/ flats--and plays like a dream--low action, smooth flatwounds--incredible!! I can't imagine how bright the rumblefish would sound w/ roundwounds!

9. I love roundwounds on mine, and my Rev is my main bass right now. The red windings can't be SITs. None of the SITs I've tried have had windings.