favorite slaptunes

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by loui, Dec 7, 2000.

1. loui

Sep 10, 2000
    So tell me which are your favorite slap tunes. My favories are "Hair" by Larry Graham, "Trouble" and "Slam the Clown" by Alain Caron, "I need a man" by Pointer Sisters, "Pink" by Level 42 and some others.
    I terribly need more inspiration
    By the way. Do anyone have "I need a man" by the Pointer Sisters. The tune is on the album called "Havin´ a party". I would like to have it so if anyone could e-mail me.

2. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    "Hair" - GCS
    "Thank U" - Sly
    "Love Rollercoaster" - RHCP version
  3. jimmysquid

Jul 5, 2000
    3)"Forget Me Nots"- Patrice Rushden. Total confection with a highly cool slap line. BP had a transcription of this some time ago.

2)"Shaky Ground"- The New York Rock and Soul Revue's live version on their one CD. Originally done by the Temptations.

3)"Peg"- Steely Dan. The verses are finger style and then Chuck Rainey starts thumbing away in the choruses-an awesome bass line. He has such a bassy sound that you might not realize he's using his thumb which apparently Becker and Fagen missed too. The story goes that the duo told Chuck they didn't want any slapping on their album so when it came time to record the bass line to "Peg" Chuck turned his back to them so they couldn't see him slapping. Way to go Chuck!
  4. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000

"Aeroplane" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

also David Bowie's Ashes to Ashes (I heard better slap sounds but the line is cool).
  5. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Bonin in the boneyard-Fishbone
    Punk it up-Infectious Grooves
    I don´t remember more right now..

6. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    In no particular order:

"Love Games" - Level 42 w/Mark King
    "Bassically Speaking" - Brian Bromberg
    "Sinister Minister" - Flecktones w/Victor Wooten
    "Sledgehammer" - Peter Gabriel w/Tony Levin
    "Country Music" - Stu Hamm (yes, you can slap country music)
    "Bassically Taps" - Stanley Clarke
    "Monkey Businessman" - Michael Manring
    "Tales" - Marcus Miller (actually, anything by Marcus)
    "Virtual Insanity" - Jamiroquai w/Stuart Zender
    "Nobody Weird Like Me" - RHCP w/Flea
    "Tommy the Cat" - Primus
    "Little Wing" - Sting w/Mark Egan (and Hiram Bullock)
    "Higher Ground" - Hiram Bullock w/Will Lee

I feel a sudden urge to play Six Degrees of Will Lee...
  7. My Favs:

*Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin) - Sly and the Family Stone (played by Larry Graham)
    *Thank You For Talking to Me Africa - Sly and the Family Stone (played by Larry Graham)
    *We Supply - Stanley Clarke (the singing is so annoying in this song, but the bass makes up for it)
    *Stone Cold Bush - Red Hot Chili Peppers
    *Take the Power Back - Rage Against The Machine
    *Hip Bop - Victor Wooten
  8. jimstick

Dec 8, 2000
    Is it Luck?-Primus
    or any song Les Claypool plays on.
    Wall-Living Colour(Doug Wimbish)
    Basically Taps-Stanley Clarke
    Sleepless-King Crimson(T.Levin)
  9. :) :)

That tune changed my musical life, a lot of time ago!

Of course you know the credit for slapping on that tune goes to mr. Louis Johnson and not Stanley Clarke.
    The album is Stanley Clarke's Rock, peebles and sand.
  10. Speaking of Louis Johnson, how about:

Strawberry Letter #23
    Get the Funk Out of My Face
    Stomp (What a killer slap solo!)

[Edited by Bassin' on 12-21-2000 at 09:33 AM]
  11. Tommy the Cat by Primus...I just can't get over how cool that song is and I've been listening to it for years.
  12. Most slaps by Robert Trujillo of Infectious Grooves.
  13. ckonthe1

Oct 26, 2000
    Nashville, TN
    Louis Johnson is a bad man!!!! "Ain't We Funkin' Now" has got some nice
    slap work! But do check out "Glide" by Pleasure! Nate Phillips with Bruce
    Carter on the drums........WHEW!!!!! Makes you wanna slap somebody!!
  14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Nathaniel Phillips of Pleasure was one of the funkiest unknown bassists back in the day. Great player, great tone...still one of my favorite bassists and an early influence.

About Bruce Carter (who I guess may still be playing with Kenny G):

POCKET!! Bruce was about the serious pocket. I have several early Pleasure releases (and the greatest hits CD in my car)... Bruce can play deceptively simple grooves...until you dissect them. Great hands. Bruce and Nathaniel sound like one mind playing two instruments.
  15. ckonthe1

Oct 26, 2000
    Nashville, TN
    I gotta tell you a quick Nate Phillips, Bruce Carter story.

I grew up in Portland Oregon where the group Pleasure was from. I was too
    young at the time to get into the clubs, so my friends and I would have to find
    them at the outdoor festivals or anywhere we could. Well, one day they did a
    gig at one of the hip music stores in town. WHEW!!!! Nate walked in and
    grabbed a bass off the rack. Plugged it in and it was so slammin'! He and Bruce
    tore the roof off!!!
    He's also a big influence on me! And I've had the pleasure (no pun intended)
    of playing with Bruce. That brotha' can PLAY!!!!!
  16. Miles Davis "We Want Miles"
    _the whole album
    Marcus Miller slams and slaps it the whole show!!
    *****Highly recommened
  17. soundofphysics

Jul 17, 2000
    don't forget miles amandla album, all the songs are composed by marcus miller.
  18. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...I'll use this thread to plug a band that you Metallica & RCHP heads SHOULD be into or checkin' out-
    First the "slap tune": "Funny Vibe" off VIVID...the band? Living Colour. The tune begins in some sorta convoluted speed Metal thing & then settles into a Funk-infested groove. William Calhoun *IS* the drummer(or the sorta drummer that the Chilis require...Chad Smith? C'mon.)
    ...and I listened to TIME'S UP before beddy-bye. For every Metalica thread, there should be at least TWO Living Colour threads...that is, if life was fair.

And to continue in my pre-dawn rant, the Miles stuff with Miller, IMO, is some of Miles' weakest efforts(then again, I'm not a huge fan of MM's production style). Even the DECOY band(w/ Darryl Jones, Branford, Scofield, & Al Foster)beats that particular period of Miles(IMO, again).
    Check out the '64 Concert w/ Tony, Carter, Hancock, & Shorter; or even LIVE-EVIL for a more electric Avant Rock-Funk thing.
  19. Hamburger Train -Primus from Pork Soda.
  20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've never seen Nate or Pleasure play (I have seen Bruce) and that's one of the dissappointments of my musical life. Seriously, seriously unknown Funk/Fusion band. Anyone know of any videotapes of them performing?