Favorite Soapbar pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Kurtis Marleau, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Kurtis Marleau

Kurtis Marleau

Jan 8, 2015
    Barrie, Ontario, Canada
    Glass Iris
    So I recently sat down with an Ibanez SR500 and SR700. Only difference I noticed between the two was bolt on neck verse neck thru. I prefer bolt on so I spent more time on the 500.

Anyways, I play in a progressive rock band and have fallen in love with active basses for bright sounds and fretless basses for warm sounds.

I really liked the bright tone from these soap bar pickups and ended up trading my "ugly bass" a Traben Array Attack in as a down payment towards this new bass. This will be my first "near professional" quality instrument. I never used the bridge pickup on the Traben and was always on the J style in the middle.

The SR500 has two soapbars one in the middle and one on the bridge. They are barteloni pickups. I was curious as to what my talkbass buds favorite soapbars might be?

2. Lace Allumitones, good output, tone and absolutely quiet. It's wireing allows multiple tonal possibilities

3. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    EMG actives. Clean. Lowest noise. Internally grounded instead of bridge grounded so choice of strings, concerns about playing outdoors or with dodgy power supplies, etc., are obviated.

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Bartolini CB's are my favorites. Never been disappointed with an install of those. You'll find there's a huge difference in the USA Bartolini's and the 'not really' Bartolini's in your Ibanez :)

5. Kurtis Marleau

Kurtis Marleau

Jan 8, 2015
    Barrie, Ontario, Canada
    Glass Iris
    I see where you're coming from. I've played a lot of EMG pickups on both guitars and basses and can't stand by them because to me it seems like they're trying to make all of their pickups sound the same. Just my opinion.

6. Kurtis Marleau

Kurtis Marleau

Jan 8, 2015
    Barrie, Ontario, Canada
    Glass Iris
    I'm interested in getting a Wal kind of tone out of a project bass. Think its possible to hook up some low pass filters to these?

7. Shouldn't be a problem with these pickups.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 16, 2021