Favorite speaker size and why...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by White_Knight, Aug 23, 2000.

1. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    Just out of curiosity: what is everyone's favorite overall speaker size (or brand for that matter). I'm not try to start a 10's vs. 18's thing and I don't want this to turn into a thread like that, but I'm wondering what other people besides myself like and why.

I personally love 15's. I love the warm sound (as opposed to the punchiness of 10's) that I get out of them without being too flabby and I also like them just because of the sheer size of the speaker, it just looks cool to me. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that most amps that I've used had 15's in them, because I really don't like cabs with much of anything else in them (though I am a sucker for a 2x10 for some reason). At any rate, my favorite 15 would probably be a JBL or maybe even the "Crate Special Design" 15 that's in my Crate BX-100.

My second favorite speaker is probably either an 18 or a 12. The 18 just because of the sheer size of that beast and it's awesome low end or the 12 because it's a pretty good blend of a 15 and a 10.

What about everyone else?
  2. It depends on the type of music that I am playing. I used to use 15's for everything, as a matter of fact I just bought a Bag End 15 that is Just Awesome!I love the full frequency ranges that I can get with my Electric, but as an Upright player, I have also come to love the sound of a 2x10 setup.The 12's are a nice compromise for versatility if you switch back and forth a lot. But if I could only have one speaker cabinet, I would choose either the Eden,
    Bag End, or EA 2x10.
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

As my favourite cabs are Euphonic Audio, I think that it's about more than just one size of speaker. The EA cabs sound so good because they have combinations of different size speakers. Like 8"s , 5" etc as well as tweeters.

This makes sense to me, as in playing bass I am looking for as faithful a reproduction as possible and this is similar to the "Hi-Fi" approach. When I listen to really top-notch Hi-Fi equipment, the bass always sounds great - better than at any concert, but the speakers are combinations of smaller ones - woofers, tweeters etc. So why not have the same in your Bass cab, rather than just one size of large speaker?

The evidence speaks for itself to me and more people are hearing the difference with EA cabs, so maybe the days of the single speaker cab are numbered?
  4. Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    My personal favorites are the 10". I also like the 15", if I'm playing Blues or Raggae. But for Rock, I prefer the 10". Much tighter sounding and punchier, IMO.
  5. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    4x10's. Used to go for the bigger speakers and then I tried a 4x10 cab. All the lows plus sparkle when needed. I found the 8x10 to be too muddy.
  6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    No particular size. I love the commbination of a 15 and some 10's (seperate cabs).
  7. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    I also favor the 12" speaker. I have an Ampeg BA-112 and am quite pleased with the full range I get from my bass with it.
    For a larger room though....I would probably go with a 4x10 cabinet.
  8. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I like using a combination of speaker sizes. Current setup is a 1X15 and a 2X10w/tweeter.
  9. SpectorBag

Jul 12, 2000
    My absolute favorite is just a straight ahead 2x12. Has the Lowend of 15's, with the punchiness and highend of 10's. Ampeg makes a great one. But the best best is a Bag End D12d. 2x12, no horn no tweeter, just sweet antural sound. Cant beat a Bag End with a stick
  10. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Funny how this stuff seems to go in and out of style. When I started playing, 10s and 12s were kind of the standard. Then 15s and 18s got popular. Then the advent of the 4X10 cabs seemed to revitalize interest in 10s. Then you started seeing weird stuff like 8s showing up in some high-end, boutique gear. Now 12s seem to be making a comeback.

[Edited by jcadmus on 08-30-2000 at 02:53 PM]
  11. rcrimm

rcrimm Commercial User

Jun 20, 2000
    Meridian, MS USA
    Customer Service, Peavey Electronics
    I prefer 10's. To me they stay a little tighter when you push them hard, and I usually like to push them pretty hard.

I have used 10's, 15's, and 18's. I have an enclosure which I love which has two 18's and two 10's, but I don't use it much any more because it's too much trouble to cart around.

I have been pretty impressed with sound of some of the 4 x 12 cabinets which are becoming more popular these days, but they are too large and heavy to me.

I like most any speaker size as long as the amplifier is properly set up, but I prefer 4 x 10 cabs these days. They're easy to transport, and still give me a big sound.
  12. I'am in a duo country/rock band and I like Eden EXT 2X10 Tweeter on a stand. We use 18' subs in our Mackie PA. The bass is hot in the mains.The Eden keeps it tight on stage and doesn't leek into the vocal mics.
  13. JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    I've kinda settled on 1x15s.I was on a 2x10 kick for a while and would love a 4x10 for funk,but for the supportive role most bass requires I like 15s.Also,I think most 1x15s are lighter than most 2x10s.

Ed,have you ever compared your Polytone to a GK mb150 or me150? I was impressed by the GK,never heard a polytone.
  14. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I think a good 410 cabinet provides more versatility than any other single cabinet.
  15. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I think 10's are probably more versatile, but I really like 15's. I've been having good luck with a 1x15 with a little 1x10 on top. I like big bottom, and the 1x10 adds just enough upper mids to bring out the tone of my fretless.
  16. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I will try to give some of the information about I have about speaker design.

The 12" is the most Midrangy sounding speaker around.
    Have you noticed that it isnt used as much as the 10" or the 15" for bass reproduction. You always see that guitar players use this.

The 10" are pure punch as many have described. This is because of the fast response of it. Now.. This is a great speaker for low end if you use it in groups of 2 or 4, And it all depends on the design of the cab. They also have some good top end.

15" is a somewhat responsive speaker. Has GREAT lows and Great LOW-Midrange. No good highs.. and not too much high midrange. But The lows and low midrange are exactly what a bass needs, but at the expense of fast response.

At this point is where I say, that to me the best combination is a 4x10 and a 1x15 + Horn Tweeter or a 5" High Driver(For not too glassy highs)

The 18" is the SLOWEST response speaker around, but it does move a lot of air. Due to its slow response I would only recomend it for that boominess sound that is seldomly needed. It has NO high midrange nor highs.. Pure low end and just a little low midrange.

Also remember that the cabinet design affects a lot of the sound. Specially if it is Vented, ported or Closed.
    Closed cabs tend to distort the low end when pushed to the limits.. As you may have noticed Ampeg was a closed cabinet (8x10) but they replaced that design with a ported cabinet in the PRO models for better sound at higher levels.
  17. ItsMichaelYeah

Jun 4, 2008
    I Use a Ampeg 1540 Best of both worlds. 4x10 and 1x15.

I'm wondering about 12" speakers. are the a middle ground between 10's and 15's?
  18. +1 to some of the above. I don't really hear that much consistently similar in 10's versus 12's versus 15's... it's all about voicing and design. While I prefer 10's, since you can cram 4 of them in one box, resulting in the smallest 'size per boom' ration:D, I've heard tight punchy 12's, modern sounding, tight 15's, and boomy, non-distinct 10's:)
  19. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    well, with all of my cabs combined I have: 1x18, 6x8, 2x10, 4x12, 5x15, 2x6.5 sheeesh! I'm all over the place! I guess if it makes noise, I like it!:p
    pr-1832he, pr1528he, acoustic 106 2x15, svt-48he, steelsound 2x12, 1212L, lopoline 1x15, crate b-60 1x15

maybe since I have the most 8's, those are what I like!:D
  20. touchdown!

Jun 2, 2008
    I too enjoy speaker combinations. Both of my setups involve at least 1x18 plus 2-4 10"