Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Favorite Stainless Steel String?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by silvad0ugh, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Wut's your favorite brand of stainless steel strings and why?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Pyramid Pyrasound.

• sound - good linear sound, very good brilliance that settles on a high level.
    • longevity, they stay bright for a long time and
    • quality - not one dead string in almost 10 years
    • no silk wrapping
    • the price: 15-20 Euro (in Germany)
    • you can get any gauge and scale, individual strings or custom sets. I play a regular Funk set (.035-.095)

3. ptuckerbass

ptuckerbass

Sep 12, 2000
    Orlando, Fl.
    I tried Ken Smith Rockmasters (light gauge) initially for the price. ($13-$14 a set) I have tried other stainless strings (Prisms and Blue Steels), and I prefer the Smith's. They have a very bright tone (not as bright as Prisms) and good fundemental. They are constructed well and don't go dead as quick as some other strings.

4. If I use roundwounds, I use Ken Smith Burners. They don't feel like stainless steel.

5. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I have been using the DR's but have been having some issues with the price/ocassional dead string ratio. I just got another set with a dead string which is the third time in about 4 months.

I have had good luck and results with Ken Smith Rock Masters, D'Addario XL's and Erni Bass Super Slinky's in the past. I may have to go back to these brands.

Any other suggestions.

6. *coughs* rotosounds *coughs*

7. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    fodera

8. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I use Fender Stainless -- because they're inexpensive.

9. I play Pyramid too
    I have the makin me stainless steel set for my 7-string
    It's .180 .140 .115 .85 .65 .45 .30
    They rule !!