Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Favorite string spacing and neck dimensions on 6 string basses!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassPulsar, Nov 26, 2002.

1. BassPulsar

BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    Portugal
    Hi,

With this thread I would like to gather some information on this "string spacing and neck dimensions" issue.
    What is your favorite string spacing on a 6 string bass and why?
    1) Why do you like narrow string spacing? Is it essentially for finger style? Don't you slap at all?
    2) And wide string spacing? Isn't it more difficult to play? You want wide spacing because you slap a lot?

Thank you TalkBass and all you people out there!!
    Regards.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Regular to large width (19-20 mm).

Although I have short fingers, I hate narrow string spacing. Feels uncomfortable and makes slapping harder.
    A wide neck actually helps my left hand, my technique is better than on a 4-string.

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I've got 18mm bridge spacing on my Sei 6 string - works nicely for whatever playing style I care to thow at it. My previous 6 was a Washburn XB-600, which had 15mm spacing. I found 15mm a bit on the tight side for slapping-based techniques. Therefore, wider spacing was a major consideration in looking at new instruments.

I don't find any problem reaching notes - I just make sure I keep my thumb relatively low on the back of the neck. I'd consider a bass with wider spacing but would take a bit of convincing too look at anything narrower.

Wulf

4. jaybo

jaybo Guest

Sep 5, 2001
    Richmond, KY
    I have a Carvin 6 string with relatively tight string spacing. I've really never had any problems at all with slapping on smaller spaced basses. I do have very small hands, however, and it would be understandable that people people with large or even 'normal' sized hands could have some problems.

5. i just try to adapt to my basses. i have a 6 with wide spacing which is difficult at times but not really. my last 6 had relatively small spacing and it was my main bass for a long while, i think i just learned to slap on small spacing.

6. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    It's not that you can't slap with narrow string spacing but some techniques, like double-thumbing, become much harder to execute cleanly. With my old six, I eventually decided to string it with roundwounds and concentrate on finger vibes.

I've certainly been convinced that string spacing is an important factor of instrument design. I recognise that people will have a range of preferences but I'd certainly recommend trying out instruments with a range of spacing.

Me? I just like my play area to be bigger ;)

Wulf

7. BassPulsar

BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    Portugal
    Thank you for your replies!!

As I want this bass to be my main bass, I will probably go for a wide spacing bass so that I can execute different techniques (the ones that I know - not many ;) ; and the ones to come :D ).
    Can you point out some bassists that use narrow string spacing basses and wide string spacing basses (all 6 string!!).

Once again, thank you for your attention.
    Regards.

8. I own some F bass 6 strings and the string spacing is 19mm (4-string spacing) and the scale is 34.5". I find this bass to be extremely easy to play, but it also has to do with the flat neck profile. I think with wider necks, they should be flat. You will find a lot of high-end 6ers have 18-19mm spacing. Check out F bass, Roscoe, MTD, etc. I recently pulled out my old 5 string and found the 16mm spacing to feel way too tight. I think once you're used to 19mm, you have a hard time going narrow. I also like that my 6 has consistent spacing with my 4.