Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Favorite strings for Peavey Cirrus 6??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MtnGoat, May 9, 2001.

1. MtnGoat

MtnGoat

May 7, 2000
    MA/NH
    I recently acquired a cirrus 6 string (redwood/alder). What are your favorite strings for this bass? Right now it has some unknown taper cores that sound pretty good, but they need to be replaced.
    Digs

2. 5not4

5not4

Sep 7, 2000
    Flint, MI
    Digs, I've got a Cirrus 5 and have used the Peavey brand strings since I've had it. I liked them at first but the last few sets have not held up like they used to. Maybe Peavey has changed something in their process. You should give them a try. So far the 5 string sets have cost me about $20 so I would think the 6's would be fairly close to that.

I used D'Addario's on my other bass and really liked them. I want to try them on the Cirrus but the intonation will have to be changed because they're a different gauge then the Peavey's. I'm waiting to get a good tuner to set the intonation then I'll go for the string change.

Keep in mind that this is a 35" scale bass. You'll have to get extra/super long scale strings which of course costs more $. The Peavey's have a cloth(?) wrap on the ends so you can't cheat and use the regular long scale, I've tried. Good luck.

3. MtnGoat

MtnGoat

May 7, 2000
    MA/NH
    Thanks, 5not4
    I think I'll try some Slowwounds or Dean Markley SR2000 strings. I have used SR200s with good results on my modulus, which is also 35" scale. The strings that are on the cirrus right now may be SR2000s, but I'm not sure.

Digs