favorite style of equalizer.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by scuba steve, Mar 11, 2006.

y'alls prefered style of equalizer.

Poll closed Mar 21, 2006.
  1. old school- volume, tone

2. 2 band-treble, bass

3. 3 band- treble, mid, bass

4. star fighter cockpit-the more knobs and toggles the better

1. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    i was jaust curious to what y'all prefer and why.
  2. steve21

steve21 Banned

3 band EQ for me.
  3. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I'm digging the 3 band in my Ibanez SR800.

I can't actlally tell too much of a difference right now until I hit the band situation, then...cut through should be better.
  4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Well, the last option sounds exaggerated and that's why I hesitated to choose it, but anyway it's the one that approximates the most to my tastes. I love versatility and knobs-toggles don't intimidate me (it doesn't necessarily mean that I'm moving them all the time. I just like to have options at my fingertips). That's one of the things I appreciate the most from my Bongos: Both have two humbuckers and a piezo bridge which can be blended any way I like, plus a 4-band EQ: Bass - Lo mid - Hi mid - Treble.
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im a 3 band guy.
  6. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Three band.

You'se gots ta be able ta control dem mids!

Either a three band or a passive Vol/Tone setup.

Two band? Why? I guess you can always suck back the bass and treble to accentuate the mids.

It's all about the mids baby!!!!

7. steve21

steve21 Banned

Mids is where the TONE is at!
  8. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Yessir, that would be correct.

9. SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    On one hand, I want the simplest setup that works.
    On the other hand, sometimes it can't be accomplished with 3 bands.

At last night's gig, I didn't feel like fussing with the 7 band eq.
    But, after the first set, I had to take it out - that particular room made it necessary.

But, I also wouldn't ever say "the more knobs the better."

So, I was really somewhere in between those last 2 choices.:bassist:
  10. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    isn't your thumb a two band?
  11. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I voted old school, but the tone control is actually disconnected from most of my basses.

At the one practice space I currently have *no* tone controls :D Just four volume controls, one of which is disabled since the power amp is currently bridged.
  12. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    The more I think and play, I'm starting to realize that I really like 2-band EQs more than anything.

The preamp on my Bongo is amazing; but I only ever use treble and bass. Keep it simple. I mean, just look at Sadowsky.
  13. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA

Which I never use.

It is a very mid-heavy bass.

When I ordered my LeCompte F'less I had but put in a 3-band with switchable mid frequency...which I rarely use. Rolling the balance a tad to the bridge pickup gives me all the mids I need.

If I had a bass that was not naturally middy I would definitely make use of a mid eq! Even my 'P' is middy! I buy middy basses to avoid (as much as possible) using the EQ.

Mids are where it's at!

14. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I guess I'm a starfighter cockpit kinda guy. Right now my main bass has a J-retro. Thats 6 knobs and 3 switches:cool:. I prefer as much onboard control as possible because I am playing with several university bands and I am stuck with using whatever amps are available at a given venue and usually don't have time to sit down and dial in an amp. With a highly controllable preamp like the J-retro I can compensate and dial in my sound better on the fly. Sometimes I've got all 6 knobs and every switch in action, other times, I just have to flip into passive mode to get the tone I want.
  15. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    yeah, i just ordered me a bo 4 thumb, and would love for you to fill me in on your mods some time.
  16. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    My only mod is a couple of Barts and all I can say about that is 'Yeah Baby!'.

(I bought it used. They were installed by Mike Lull and I believe that it is the original preamp. (There's nothing on it to indicate otherwise.))

17. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I like volume volume and tone, and I either leave each knob at 100% or 0%, I like what those 6 combinations it can give me. I don't need anything more complex than that.
  18. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Exactly my thoughts. As I said, I love versatility, but I don't feel the necessity of going to the extreme with an on-board 7 band eq.
  19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

My favorite is an active bass, with volume, blend, bass, mid, treble, and a passive tone control. Very versatile!:cool:

My second favorite is the 4 band EQ on the MM Bongo. This bass has the most powerful EQ of any production bass that I have played.
  20. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    One of my favorite options is a passive vol/tone bass going into a nice EQ/preamp pedal. That way I get the clean look on the instrument with the option to kick in some tone-shaping.