Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Favorite Thunderfunk Settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassJunkie730, Jan 24, 2006.

1. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Good Morning TalkBass!

Last night I finally hooked up the TB Uber-hype gear rig. A my Thunderfunk TFB550 to a Schroeder 21012. Nice tone.

Definitely louder and smoother than the Baggie stack I was running.

It's nice to be back hitting for the Schro team again.

However, last night I was thinking about what settings you guys preferred with your T-Funk and cab combination.

I am well aware of two "infamous" settings. The Tomixx "db750" setting, and everyone's favorite Flat setting.

This is especially directed at those of you out there that have the T-funk with the 21012.

So whats your favorite T-funk setting?:bassist:

~M

2. I think you aren't getting any posts because most of us probably run that amp virtually flat... maybe a touch of enhance and a slight turn of the timbre to the bass or treble side depending on the bass/cab/room. I add just a little bit of bass, or a little boost at around 50hz on the lowest semi-parametric with my medium Schroeder boxes (1210 and 1212), just to open up the bottom a little bit... but only boost to about 1 o'clock. I run my Epi410UL virtually flat.... with the switch down for the funk and up for a more full fingerstyle sound.

3. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    That's what I was thinking too.
    I run mine flat and occasionally adjust the Enhance between zero and five.

Sure, I experiment with the EQ and can get some nice options but I always wind up resetting everything to the center!

Now that you mention it, I think I'll experiment some more with the "Tommixx DB750 settings". IIRC it's a slight boost at 30hz, 400hz and 4khz.

BTW, I'm playing my TF through a Schroeder 1212 and couldn't be happier.

If you come up with some cool settings, let us know!

Chad

4. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    Bumping this thread - Thunderfunk users, which frequency do you boost/cut when using a jazz-styled instrument for slap?

Which mids are you cutting on the EQ?

5. Don't cut those mids when you slap....:eek: There's no reason IMO to change EQ significantly when going from fingerstyle to slap... maybe just a little low end boost on the bass if you have an active pre so fill out the sound. Cutting any sort of mids is the best way to get totally lost in the mix when slapping.

If you really need a little bit more scooped sound, that's exactly what the enhance control is for... just take the enhance from flat (off) to around 9 o'clock, and it will do everything you need... bring up the bottom a little, cut the upper mids slightly, and increase the treble.

6. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    I may not have made myself clear, when I talked about mids I was thinking more of the upper mids. I'm not aiming for a fieldy-like tone, rather for a marcus tone - which upper-mids frequency should be slightly cut? I have tried with some bass boost and a slight cut at 800, seems to work nice but I have still to experiment with the amp.

7. Marcus has a ton of mids in his sound IMO. When I saw him last, the had the semi-parametric mid on his EBS650 cranked at around 400-500 hz from what I could see (I was sitting pretty close). So much has to do with the individual bass, and the cab you are using. I guess if you are experiencing some 'honk' in your slap tone, a slight cut around 2K might help....

Is your J Bass passive?

8. alanbass1

alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    London
    I generally run my flat through an Epi T210UL and occassionally tweak the enhance and timbre to suit the room. It seems pretty balanced this way and I can adjust my bass to dial in more/less of anything for a song. Actually, this starts to make me wonder why I have these amps with so many eq controls!

9. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    I've had my TFB420 for a few weeks now and I'm just getting around to experimenting with the EQ, I've just had the Enhance on about 3 and the Timbre slightly to the right and it sounds great!

Running through a Schroeder 1212.

10. That's pretty much my 1212 setting also with my TF.

11. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I do use mine pretty differently than most, but I mostly play double bass.
    I have enhance all the way up. This does scoop out some mids, mids can cause feedback in a dB in hihger volume situations-which is me, in a big jazz/blues/R&B band. I run the eq pretty flat, except a cut at the 6-800hz range, and timbre at about +1 or two. Might add a little sub bas dependent on the room.
    For electric, I typically just set the mids and timbre back to flat, and leave enhance about all the way on. I have played with the enhance turned down some, I don't care for it as well.
    I'm typically playing thru a Schro 1210...

12. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    :cool:

Hey your avatar gives me GAS, I played when of them thar Rob Allens last week and I fell in love!

13. +1 Very unusual bass.. very warm and woody and DB sounding, and really lightweight. I wish my intonation was as good as the tone!