1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Favorite tone but can't play that bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stuntbass77, Nov 2, 2013.

1. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Nov 6, 2007
    My all time favorite bass tone is just a plain old precision (fret less p even more so). My style doesn't call for it, and I just love a jazz neck. When I get the feeling I just solo the front pup. I just love p bass tones, muted, fretless, or just open and all out. Anyone have the same issue?

2. Well, the type of music Primus plays didn't traditionally involve a fretless bass, but, Less made it work. It's simple. Just make it part of YOUR style.

3. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    You need one of these:

PrecisionJazzDoubleneck-1-1.

or maybe just one of these:

[​IMG]

4. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Nov 6, 2007
    I guess what I failed to say was that the p tone doesn't fit my style (sound in my head). I find that I just love hearing other people play a p bass. I play fretless, it's a warmoth with a bartolini BC pickup in a custom position (works for my style).

5. I thought I really wanted a Ric for a while but then I played one in a store and couldn't get comfortable on it. All I got.

6. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    euh I think I fail to understand the problem here ...

the music you play doesn't call for the tone of a P bass so you don't play one but which you do ?

well ... I think that you should get a P bass and just try it. There is always a way to make it works with some imagination

7. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Nov 6, 2007
    I am just a p bass fan. I owned a MIA p bass and really wanted it to be my sound, but it's just not for me.

8. I don't understand.
    If it's your "all time favorite tone," which literally means you like it better than your own bass, you can make it work.

9. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    I did like the peavey millennium bxp basses for it's nice punchy sounds, but what I don't like about those basses is the high action and the flat chunky neck. I find the high action a little uncomfortable and the neck is not as smooth as an Ibanez soundgear bass and a schecter stiletto bass. the fendenes gravity 5x 5-string bass I once owned had a smooth neck and a nice low action. right now I own 2 Ibanez soundgear basses(a 4-string and a 5-string) and 1 schecter stiletto 5-string bass and I'm very satisfied with these basses. I will be buying a schecter 4-string bass real soon.

10. Milk

Milk

Sep 16, 2013
    Montreal, Canada

What style pray tell is Primus supposed to be playing? I always thought Primus genre was called...primus.....

11. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    so you like the tone or how the bass feel ?

in both situation it is workable you know ... like if you like the sound but not the neck you can swap neck with a jazz ... or you can put a p bass neck on the jazz if it is what you like ...

12. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've never found a situation that a P doesn't work in. There is a reason so many recordings of all styles have used a P, from Motown to heavy metal. It literally works for every style of music.

13. BrianToska

BrianToska

Jan 14, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Your style doesn't call for a P bass!? Blasphemy!

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Weird thread of the week ;)

15. SpasticTastic

SpasticTastic

Dec 22, 2012
    Louisiana
    Why not get a P bass and throw on a J neck?
    Or if you still want a J body, get one of those Mark Hoppus basses and throw on a J neck.
    Or find you an Aerodyne J.

16. I have a Similar deal with p basses. Like the sound with certain instrumentation. Basically when it comes to rock an metal with multiple guitar players a p bass is the perfect bass IMO. It doesn't sound to busy. Sits in the mix very well. Nice and warm. But for me i like the bass to be cover a bigger chunk of the frequency spectrum within the band so i atleast want a pj configuration. Most of my basses I've owned have been jj and I've had a few basses with soaps. As far as the feel of the neck. P basses have a pretty wide string spacing. The difference in the bulk of the neck between a 4 string p bass and a 5 string with closer spacing isn't very much. A lot of people like jazz bass necks, a lot of people like p bass necks. It's all preference really. I think the spacing differences is the reason many fender fans swap thier necks. The wider spacing on a p makes slapping easier but without a j at the bridge its a very different tone. The closer spacing of a j is great for complicated finger style stuff but harder to slap. So when it comes to fender i normally prefer a fretless jazz and fretted pj because of the basses role in the music i play. I'd also mention when tuning low for example those who tune bead on a 4. The p bass is nice. The thicker strings often change the feel of the string spacing. My Conklin has a pretty wide spacing but tuned down a 4th with heavier strings the spacing is easier to play.