Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Favorite Tower of Power CD

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by WickdMOnkey, Dec 23, 2004.

1. WickdMOnkey

WickdMOnkey

Nov 18, 2003
    Illinois
    Hey guys I know a lot of you are into TOP so I thought I would ask whats your favorite CD of theirs. I want to pick up some but I don't know where to start. I have downloaded some of there individual songs but I want to buy their complete cds. I think my favorite songs of theirs are "What is hip" and "diggin on James brown" I know I have heard some stuff that is a little more mellow but I would like to stick to things in more of the style of those two songs. I just didn't know if they had any cds where they went through a more mellow period like some bands do so I kinda wanted to avoid those if I could. Thanks alot guys!

2. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Tower of Power - "Tower of Power"

3. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    toss up between back to oakland and urban renewal.

4. Dennis Kong

Dennis Kong Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2004
    San Mateo CA
  5. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Tower of power live: the soul vaccination tour is unreal !! It includes What is Hip, Diggin on James Brown, So Very Hard to Go, 15 toons total!! And tighter then a virgins( well I won't go there) !! Excellent reccording quality. The new one (Oakland Zone) is excellent but its hard to beat live (Soul Vaccination) for a great taste. I wish I could afford to see them live, but every time they come to the Metro Detroit area they play some tiny place and charge 80-100 per ticket!! More power to them that they can get it , but out of my price range.
    Steve B

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    True dat!
    Live in living colour with Lenny Pickett's "knock yourself out" and "what is hip live"
    :hyper:

7. Magelus

Magelus

Sep 12, 2004
    Ohio
    Oh man, that Lenny Prickett solo in Kock Yourself Out is insane. I wish I could play tenor sax like that.....Hey wait, this is a bass forum, what am I doing talking about saxual experiences here?

And yes, pun intended on that.

8. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Although I can't disagree with this,
    Rhinos' 2 disc TOP Anthology is by far the best overall collection on the market.

9. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

+1 for the Rhino collection.

Even better than than, I've burned myself a "sub-compilation" that includes 19 (I think) of my faves from the collection album.. Nothing slow -- and all very funkifized!

dcr