1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

favorite tunes for your fretted ABG?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lomo, Jul 23, 2007.

1. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I just got the 1st acoustic/electric 5 string bass I ever really liked and felt comfy with. I plan on using it for a few specific tunes with the band, but was wondering what kind of music others are playing live with their ABGs.

I'll be using it for Tangerine and Let It Be for starters.

2. Violent Femmes! Brian Ritchie was the reason I got one...well, that and wanting a beater bass. Strangely, I really enjoy playing ABGs with a pick (like Brian), but not electric basses. If you don't already own it, I cannot reccomend their self-titled debut record enough. It's just timeless, really. Amazing bass playing, honest songwriting, minimalist drumming, and powerful band interplay.

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    A HUGE +1 to the Violent Femmes.

Brian Ritchie was a huge influence to me when I was younger (and I'm pretty sure it still shows to this day at times).

He's also a member here, although he doesn't post too often.

4. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal

Thanks-yeah I've got it-in my vinyl collection. Love it but almost forgot it-I'll have to bring it up with the boys-esp that "Raisin in the Sun tune"!!

5. rummy

rummy

Apr 17, 2006
    Lombard, IL
    See if you can find their live stuff. They really crank the bass.

6. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
  7. HE IS??? My goodness that's AWESOME! :hyper:

What's his username...his name, or something different?

8. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Just post that you have an EB Earthwood bass for sale, he'll show up! :D

9. Hahah! FACT! His retelling of how he acquired his first Earthwood was a great story in BP months ago.

Also, I feel like I'd would know I'd made it as a musician if I kept breaking strings, sent the manufacturer a letter telling them "Your strings suck!" and them responding with a box of them saying "Sorry to hear that. Here's more." :D

10. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Lomo,

Change your avitar to a Maple Leaf and maybe I'll tell you.:spit: :D

11. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yep. Here's a link to his profile:http://www.talkbass.com/forum/member.php?u=60373

I've exchanged a few PM's with him in the past (I had started a thread in Bassists about him, and have had him listed as one of my influences in my profile for years). Seems like an extremely cool guy, based on the PM's I exchanged with him. I lobbied to get him added to the "Ask a Pro" section of the forum, but didn't get anywhere. It sucks, because Brian was interested in doing it (his idea, actually).

His last activity here was on 6/20/07, so he's still coming around here.

12. anything from bluegrass to prog.

13. rob2966

rob2966

Oct 19, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    Alice In Chains Unplugged.

Later
    Rob

14. Ooooh, that too! I sometimes find myself playing the "Rotten Apple" lick over and over.

15. ronniequeue

ronniequeue

Oct 22, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Yes!:) I concur!

True

16. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    Not only unplugged, but anything from Alice in Chains' "Jar of Flies" - actually, "Nutshell" is more of a fretless tune for me.

Also - check out the VH1 Acoustic version of The Scorpions doing "Rock You Like a Hurricane" - I have ZERO interest in the original studio version, but the acoustic version is really cool.

17. I would play would over and over.