Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Favorite underground Band

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fadlan bassman, Jun 2, 2002.

1. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Austin,Tx
    What are your favorite underground (unsigned/small label) bands. I have a few since I live in austin( see sig.).

2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    GWAR, Type O Negative and The Dickies.

I don't know if they're really considered "underground," but they're definitely not in the mainstream! I don't get into too many unsigned bands, but I am going to really try to check out my area's music scene this summer.

3. PRIMAL is the new metal thrash band. there in ringwood new jersey and play at obsessions in randolph. there guitarist, achilles, has only been playing 3 1/2 years but i swear he is as good as eddie van halen! i asked him if he could play eruption. he said i can learn it in like a day if u wanted me to.

4. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Austin,Tx
    Unloco is pretty good the bass player is really good. I also like George devore and the Roam (the bass player is my instructor so i'm biased). Anger Mgnt is also cool, those are all bands from Austin. I like the under the radar bands because they tend to not be Commercialized. . I like FY Dolla Ho too, I think they are from LA.

5. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    We got a label in memphis called Goner(which my band might get signed too soon.. we gotta drummer.. were gonna just have bass and drums and maybe a keyboard player.. lol ;)
    well Alot of my favorite bands are/have been signed to goner.. there real underground.. like the reatards (there last show before they supposedly broke up was in a bookstore in memphis!) lol! a bookstore.. THATS HARDCORE
    im just being stupid ..uhhh uhhh..but anyway
    I like the oblivians, psychadelic furs(not to underground), velvet underground, pavement, the replacements(my brothers best friends dad {jim dickinson}) produced some replacements stuff... Husker DU.. decedents.. the dead milkmen.. I like alot of underground punk stuff... but i really love the blues man so.. ya know how that is.. =D

6. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Wednesday Night Heroes,
    The Dick Reid Band

Two very good groups in my area. Check them out if you can.

Travis

7. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Austin,Tx
    Who is Pavement? I have heard about them but have not heard anything by them. I wore a Pavement records t-shirt at a party and people were asking if that was the band.

8. I dont think they are really underground but meshuggah for sure.

9. John Cougar Concentration Camp...who aren't together anymore.

Horace Pinker also

10. the Liars

the Mars Volta

11. Holy geezer, now you guys finally can find out what music makes the AllodoX what they are :D

- Animosity, alternative metal, my fav song : Taste the pain ok.. the soundquality sucks ( home recording ? ), but they are very good competition for Kitty ! they make real nice music, and their bassplayer is actually a nice looking chick too :D ( she does look angry tho )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    All the bands I like are "underground".The only band i like that is sorta popular is Tool.

13. Their bass player is jacked! Rock on!

I have the same shirt as the guitarist!!!! Crazy! These girls look allllllright.

14. RMC!!!!!! (Red Myst Club)

These guys are extremely talented - their two guitarist are so much better than any guitarist in any mainstream band I've ever heard. It doesn't really show too much in the songs in this link because they haven't updated this in years and only two of the band members from these songs are the same, but it is a taste anyway...give a listen.

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/277/red_myst_club.html

15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    my favorite underground bands are:
    Limp bizkit, Korn, and Linkin park

16. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Austin,Tx
    uh, those are not exactly "underground" bands. I would say those are pretty much mainstream.

Any way I got to check Adema at the Loft above Jazz on 6th around a year and a half ago (before thay were that big). There was about 25 people there, they opened up for Boy Hit Car. Oneside Zero also played. I got to meet the bass player From Adema, he's like 6'5, and pretty nice guy.

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hey! I played a show with those guys! Pretty good act, actually! Man, I feel cool now :D They were from Tampa I believe. We went on right before them in a little club here in Stuart. I've heard the song Addy, and it's actually a pretty good song, the quality of the recording just sucks. Good band, I'd play with them again anytime. In fact, in their Photo Section, the third row down, that row is from the show! (The ones with the big Mirror in the backround)

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hotboxed, Alt metal from the Columbia Gorge, in WA. Nice guys, killer music. The bass player is NUTS...got and SWR 6x10 AND an SWR Big Ben (1x18) with an Ampeg SVT Pro-4. He tunes to C...that thing hits you like a pile of bricks. It's beautiful :D

www.hotboxed.com
    (Their 4 songs they have for download are pretty good. You should listen to them in the following order: "Without" "Defiance" "Who's Blood" "Somethingelse" to get the correct impression) Check the scream Ryan holds on Without around the 2:24 mark.

In fact, I'm listeneing to them right now! (along with 3 other tracks I got for working w/ the lead singer's girlfriend for about 6 months)

19. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Ultimate Fakebook. Saw them in Richmond at a punk show couple weeks ago with another pretty good band called Shatzi or something like that.

20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Ha ha. Very funny.