Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Favorite Vintage Jazz Bass pups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by blipndub, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Seymour Duncan

19 vote(s)
    23.5%
  2. Fender

21 vote(s)
    25.9%
  3. Dimarzio

8 vote(s)
    9.9%
  4. Lollar

3 vote(s)
    3.7%
  5. Norstrand

13 vote(s)
    16.0%
  6. Fralin

18 vote(s)
    22.2%
  7. Rio Grand

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Which ones provide the best sound for the money?

Updated with new options.
    Some of the many types are purposely omitted, these are the ones I'm interested in seeing opinions on.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I voted Nordstrand since I have them in my MIA Jazz. You're welcome to borrow it to see if you like how it sounds. I have the NJ4SE's. The NJ4SV's are even more "vintagey".

-Mike

3. I voted for nordstrand as well. I use NJ4 single coil pickups ... great sound.

4. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    Dimarzio Model J

5. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    *WRIGHT IN* Aero pickups....some of the best pickups made today!:D

6. Volk

Volk

Dec 18, 2005
    South Jersey
    No Bartolini option?! I got a pair of their single coil classic bass series pups and they really sing!

7. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    SD Antiquity II's

8. I personally really like Barts too, but I was interested in these other brands because I'm most familiar with the barts.

9. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Fender SCN!! They are reaaaally great :bassist:

10. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Not known, but Jason Lollar makes very cool pickups.
    Have a Lollar Jazz pickup in a fretless I just had made.
    I's a P-bass with single jazz pickup in bridge position.
    No knobs, passive.
    Special wound, high out put, kill Jaco sound.

11. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Duncan Antiquity II's - sound great. Hard to make comparisons, would have to own a bunch of others to do that.
    Bass player magazine several years ago did a comparison on many vintage single coil jazz replacements. I think you can find it if you search "pickup comparison" on google. They liked Anitiquity I & II and Dimarzio Model J. They were singled out as substancially better than the pack...for what that's worth. Bartolinis didn't score that well, not because they didn't sound good but rather they sound like Bartolinis which isn't a bad thing, they just don't sound like vintage Fender.

Seymour Duncan says on his site that Antiquity II's are wound to the same specifications as the custom pickups he wound for Jaco Pastorius's Jazz basses.

12. Interesting results on the poll. Thanks for all who chipped in. I wonder if there is an issue of availability that influence people's preferances? It's al lot easier to run out and grab a set of SDs or Fenders but when was the last time you heard a Lollar (last week for me, my bandmates builds with them) or a Norstrand?

13. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I voted Lindy Fralin because my noiseless Split Jazz Fralins are outstanding. They deliver excellent classic J tone, with no single coil hum, which to me expands tonal options considerably. But I voved before I saw the "for the money" qualifier -- noiseless Fralins are darned expensive. I think they're worth it over the long haul, but when price is thrown in, I suspect Seymour Duncan's basic vintage J is a good bet. Some seem to prefer these to the boutique brands.