1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Favorite Vonnegut book?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by paste, Jan 6, 2013.

Favorite Vonnegut book?

Poll closed Jan 16, 2013.
  1. Player Piano

3.3%
  2. The Sirens of Titan

6.7%
  3. Mother Night

3.3%
  4. Cat's Cradle

26.7%
  5. God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater

3.3%
  6. Slaughterhouse-Five

20.0%
  7. Breakfast of Champions

23.3%
  8. Slapstick

3.3%
  9. Jailbird

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Deadeye Dick

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Galápagos

3.3%
  12. Bluebeard, the Autobiography of Rabo Karabekian

3.3%
  13. Hocus Pocus

3.3%
  14. Timequake

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. paste

paste

Oct 3, 2011
    Michigan
    Haven't read all of Vonnegut's stuff but so far I think Galapagos or Breakfast of Champions takes the cake.

2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Inactive

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    They're all good. Slaughterhouse 5 is a favorite of mine.

3. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    It's been a long time. I re-read Heinlein and some Vonnegut but I can't read as fast as I once did.

4. I've only read The Sirens of Titan, but I loved it. I have Player Piano, too, but haven't read it yet.

5. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I love Vonnegut, but Cat's Cradle will always be special to me, because it's written with a smirk.

6. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Please re-watch "Back to School!"

7. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    I didnt vote because ive only read 2 Vonnegut books, so im really not qualified to vote. Cat's Cradle was required reading for American Lit class in hi school. 6 or 7 years later I read Slaughterhouse V for the fun of it. I guess i would pick Schlacthof Funf as my favorite of the two.

8. GOD BLESS YOU, MR. ROSEWATER

loved it as a teenager, and it is still my favorite.

davesignatureII-1.png

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Have read them all. Bluebeard is my favorite. The presentation of the saga of Sateen Dura-luxe paint is one of the most brilliant images/infinitendres I've ever come across in any literature, ever. Nobody writes human satire like Vonnegut.

10. Cat's Cradle is what I voted, it, Slaughterhouse 5 and Breakfast of Champions are the only ones I've reread.

Honestly, I've only read about 2/3rds of the list (I really need to read the rest!).

11. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Slaughterhouse Five was the book that got me into reading so I'll go with that.

12. "Wampeters, Foma and Granfaloons" (didn't check spelling) is my favorite, a collection of essays.

13. Breakfast of Champions is the only one I've really read well enough to be able to comment on.

14. Ricnroll

Ricnroll

Dec 30, 2010
    Vancouver, B.C.
    I love them all. I love the way he brings Kilgore Trout into some of his works.

One of my favourite short stories of all time is "The Foster Portfolio" from Welcome to the Monkey House. I highly recommend it, especially to you lot.

15. paste

paste

Oct 3, 2011
    Michigan
    ayayayayayaya forgot to put Welcome to the Monkey House on the poll. oh well, guess it doesnt count as an actual novel anyways since it's a bunch of his short stories combined together. I remember having to read four or five of the short stories back in high school and enjoying it so much I read the rest of the book. Also nice to see Cat's Cradle high on the poll since I havent read that one yet and planning to some time this week.

16. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Commercial User

May 3, 2011
    Madison, WI
    I'm gonna go on a limb and say Slapstick. Breakfast second. I like the goofier Vonegut.

17. Illini10

Illini10

May 15, 2012
    Elmwood, IL
    I've enjoyed all of his books immensely but "Breakfast of Champions" is one that I've re-read multiple times. "Slaughterhouse Five" and "Sirens of Titan" have been read more than once as well but Breakfast really got to me. I think it is the whole "free-will" thing. I just dug my books out of storage and I'm planning on re-reading "Cat's Cradle" and "Bluebeard" within the next few weeks.

18. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Your list is incomplete!

Lots of shorter works of his arent included! I bought my gf "We Are What We Pretend to Be" which contains Vonneguts first and last published works. I havent read it yet, but she says its good.

For me, its a toss up between Cats Cradle and Galapagos, leaning towards Cats Cradle.

19. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Yamaha & Grosbeak. I’m Marc!

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    I liked Bluebeard a lot. I read it in college.

20. paste

paste

Oct 3, 2011
    Michigan
    Yes! tb only allows 20 options to a poll so I decided to limit it to just his novel's.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021