Favorite way to get a distorted sound!?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ulf_kurt, Sep 14, 2000.

1. ulf_kurt

Feb 10, 2000
    Umea, Sweden
    Hey boys and girls!

I only played bass for a little while and a have a question about distortion. When we play harder/punkier stuff I would really like to get a bit of distortion in the sound.

How do YOU do to get a "dirty" bass-sound? Effects? Pedals? Let me know...:)

Cheers Ulf/

[Edited by ulf_kurt on 09-14-2000 at 03:20 PM]
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    One of the cheapest and most effective ways of producing distortion is to raise the height of your pickups. No $$$ necessary.
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    er, what kind of pickups do you use, Christopher?
    I don't think that's gonna do it...
    My advice would be to check out some overdrive/distortion pedals, ask some guitarist friends if they let you try theirs - they usually got plenty of 'em...

My favorite would be a tube driven device, e.g. a Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor. But since you want to be 'dirty', go for a overdrive pedal like e.g. an Ibanez Tube Screamer or sth. along that line...

Getting good bass distortion is almost like rocket science...
  4. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I have a Basslines MM. Very hot. You're right, though. Not every pickup can do the trick.
  5. Damn! Don't use GUITAR pedals! And if you tried one, NOTE that it's not the only distortion sound you can get out of your bass - they're not just aimed for bass. Use pedals desigend specially for bass, such as BOSS ODB-3 - I'm comletely happy with it now.
  6. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hey indie,

If it works, why not use it?
    The Boss OC-2 Octaver wasn't designed for bass either, and it still is one of the best...

Or the TC Electronics Chorus - there ain't anything better - originally for guitar...

Just don't limit yourself by being narrow-minded :)

P.S.: I tried the pedal you mentioned, and it wasn't the sound I(!) was looking for...

[Edited by JMX on 09-17-2000 at 08:41 AM]
  7. The Boss Metal Zone.
    It doesn't matter that it's for Guitar, but it works nicely on Bass.
    It's a real neat sound.
    It's mostly for metal stuff.
    Ok Desu Ka.
    Krazy Kow
  8. I have a Boss Metal Zone (MT-2), and I consider it a solo pedal only, coz it takes the low end out of the sound. But it gets the sound distorted all right....... man what a roar :D:D

I also have a Boss ODB-3 and that's more like it for normal bass use. It mixes back (balance knob, great invention!) the undistorted sound, so you'll have the low end in the total sound. The sound doesn't get squeeky, like many guitarists. They have to work hard not to cause feedback when they don't want/need it.

My 2 cents.
  9. Is the Bass OverDrive really good?
    Could one use it for metal, or is the metal zone better for grind-core stuff?
    ok desu ka.
    Krazy Kow
  10. I own the Ibanez TS-9DX Turbo Tube Screamer. I like it and so does Analogman.
  11. I my opinion the MT-2 isn't fit for bass. It sounds too light, and turning up the bass knob too far makes it go out of control. I only use it to play solo, sounding just like a guitar. Sounds great high up on the 6th string.

The ODB-3 is definitely the better choice. If you set the balance at 10 to 12 o'clock (more clean than dist) you can get almost the same roar out of it. The only drawback is: the ODB-3 doesn't have that powerful frequency knob like the MT-2. Which limits the different types of sounds you can get from the box.
  12. I just turn the volume knob on my V-4B way up and I have an amazing overdriven tone. It rules.
  13. Hey JMX.

It seems you think that being open minded means labling narrow minded anyone who expresses another opinion than yours ;) If it works then it's okay. Maybe you just don't need bass to sound one octave lower than guitar, then it's surely okay to use MT-2 ;) Or maybe there are some guitar distos that don't cut the lowest octave - I don't know, I didn't try them all. But I've tried some of them, including e.g. MT-2 and DOD Grunge, and I make up my opinion from that.
    We played once with a guitarist who used an (identical) clone of MT-2, and we just plugged my bass into MT-2 and his guitar into ODB-3, so we could compare. ODB-3 was very much like MT-2 on guitar, but with added lows, and MT-2 distorted bass okay, but it gave little lows and didn't distort lows at all (distorted upper harmonics I think). On the whole, I completely agree with what Joris said.
    I just addressed those who's interested in distos for bass, but tried only guitar distos, and might think he can't get another kind of sound, and might give up the idea (I would personally never play bass through DOD Grunge!!!). Let them just try something like ODB-3 and decide theirselves.
  14. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Just don't take my posts TOO seriously, I'm not a native speaker (see profile), so maybe I'm not using the right words - but you did start your post with 'Damn...' and I think that's a little harsh..:) and I still think you can find better boxes than the Boss - e.g. Hughes & Kettner's Tube Factor.
  15. nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    i think a good way is to crank the amp up until the volume makes a growl and then use a pedal to lower the volume yet keep the same growl if you will, not sure if thius works all the time yet it works on my GK head and a preamp processor; or just take the easy way out and use my ODB3 thats is the best bass overdrive i've eoncountered; actually prefer the distorted bass growl from amp and preamp
  16. kuamer

Aug 28, 2000
    when i'm not turning up the gain on my head, i'm using my Zoom 506 bass effect pedal. it's pretty cool. it has like 30 effects from distortion to chorus to flange...etc.
    you can create and edit your sounds also. that's a plus

around 100 bucks will get you one.

i also run through a ****ty old guitar distortion pedal.
    it gives this high ringing distortion.
    reminds me of ben folds five sound.

17. Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    Same here, just with an old "69" SVT. Talk about ROAR!
    If I need more distortion, I can hit the A/B box and direct my signal to my SVP-PRO preamp before the SVT, turn the drive and gain knobs and stand back!
  18. Hi JMX.
    Well, I admit "damn" might be harsh (though not probably harsher than "narrow-minded"). I'm not a native English speaker too (I'm from Ukraine).
    I just wanted to say that bass overdrive pedals are worth to try. You advised once for those who want to explore disto for bass to try guitarists' effects, and I just thought they might be unaware in such case that these stompboxes are not all they can explore, as I saw from some other threads that even some experienced bassists don't know about ODB-3's features like the blend knob, which is crucial, in my opinion.
  19. membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    Krazy Kow! from the primus bullboard!!

welcome aboard!
  20. Indeed, I'm the very same Krazy Kow.
    So, does the majority of people here believe that the Boss ODB-3 is the best Overdirve box?
    ok desu ka.
    Krazy Kow