Favorite "Weird" P Pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by CatDaddyOTB, May 11, 2022.

1. CatDaddyOTB

CatDaddyOTB Feline Father Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2018
    Philadelphia, PA
    Hey TB - I have a P bass with a Fred Hammon Darkstar in it, and it punches like no other. High output, huge mids, fat & round nirvana. It would be cool to capture that type of vibe in a traditional P-shaped pickup.

What are some of your favorites? A few examples:

DiMarzio: Relentless Middle, Split P
    Lollar: Precision 90
    Curtis Novak: PB-CC, PB-90

Would love to hear people's experience with any of the above, or your experience with other pickups with a similar concept.

2. I've a T-Bird humbucker in one P-bass and a Peavey Super Ferrite single coil in another. In the workpile there's a P-bass waiting on me installing a Guild BS-1 , P-bass due a Warman Drive train Quad coil humbucker

DJ Bebop and CatDaddyOTB like this.
  3. CatDaddyOTB

Mar 20, 2018
    Philadelphia, PA
    Sounds rad! To be clear I'm asking about somewhat unusual pickup types in a traditional P Pickup size.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I have a vintage PAF era DiMarzio P in my parts P bass.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

5. CatDaddyOTB

Mar 20, 2018
    Philadelphia, PA
    Weeeew! Bet it's vicious.

6. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Delano PMVC 4 FE/M2: DELANO PMVC 4 FE/M2 or the alnico version (which I haven't yet tried), the PMVC AL/M2: DELANO PMVC 4 AL/M2
    G&L MFD P
    and a sorta wildcard, but the old discontinued Seymour Duncan "Active EQ" P with the 3 mini switches has become one of my favorites

petch and CatDaddyOTB like this.
  7. CatDaddyOTB

Mar 20, 2018
    Philadelphia, PA
    Awesome!! The G&L is a great call!

GlennRH likes this.
  8. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Yeah its one of my favorites, the only downside being that the output is so high that it tends to slam alot of my favorite pedals too hard (I had a similar problem with Darkstar pickups too back when I had a pair in a bass many years back)

yodedude2 and CatDaddyOTB like this.
  9. CatDaddyOTB

Mar 20, 2018
    Philadelphia, PA
    My workaround is a Radial Bigshot I/O - I play synth bass a lot and I use the Radial to switch back and forth, but I put the bass into the second input with the trim. That way I can use my compressor and the level of the synth to match the outputs of my various basses!

sunbeast likes this.
  10. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Smart move- I probably should do the same so I could set up another bass with an MFD again! These days I play with a few active basses with similarly high output, but the beauty of an active bass is being able to actually use the volume control on the bass to cut output without killing the tone.

CatDaddyOTB likes this.
  11. CatDaddyOTB

Mar 20, 2018
    Philadelphia, PA
    This is true - I just like to keep volume all the way up for simplicity's sake!

12. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I think you'd probably dig the Delano options too based on your tone description. I found the FE/M2 to be in the same general fat but articulate and growly tonal universe as I recall my Darkstar'd Jazz sounding (and would expect the alnico version to be even more articulate)

CatDaddyOTB likes this.
  13. CatDaddyOTB

Mar 20, 2018
    Philadelphia, PA
    I actually have that pickup in the bridge position of another bass... Might be cool to pop it into a more traditional P bass and see how it sounds! Delanos rule, I just ordered a set of JC4 AL's for another project : )

Bassgeer and sunbeast like this.
  14. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Denver, CO
    You have the J version in bridge position or the P version? The P version is definitely fatter than the J (though the J version is pretty fat for a J as well- I used to have a set of the J FE/M2 pickups too)

CatDaddyOTB likes this.
  15. CatDaddyOTB

Mar 20, 2018
    Philadelphia, PA
    P version... It has an MM in the neck and a P in the bridge, and it's tuned to BEAD. Weird but sounds awesome!!! Snarls like a tiger, people can't believe it's passive.

Jefus and sunbeast like this.
  16. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Oh cool! That sounds pretty wild! I've seen the reverse of that a few times but never anything like that

CatDaddyOTB likes this.
  17. CatDaddyOTB

Mar 20, 2018
    Philadelphia, PA
    Began it's life as a normal P-bass, and then the madness began...

18. Rib 13

Rib 13

Jun 20, 2006
    Home
    My favorite 'weird' pickup in a P-position is the one in my Peavey T-45 (left)

My favorite normal P is the growly stock Reverse-P monster in my '89 MIJ Fender Power Jazz Bass Special (right)

[​IMG]

Isotonic, osv and CatDaddyOTB like this.
  19. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    If I could only own 36 basses what would they be?
    DSCF1202.JPG

CatDaddyOTB likes this.
  20. I love this in mine . Hard to find used . 77321D99-2C92-42D7-9762-F949E7626127.jpeg