Favorite wood combo for neck-thru bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by joshwilson3, Oct 30, 2005.

1. joshwilson3

May 8, 2005
    What is your favorite wood combo's for neck-thru bass?

I'm trying to figure this out for my custom bass. I'm leaning towards ebony for the fingerboard as I like black fingerboards. But what about the neck-thru and wings? Any suggestions? I play metal if that matters.

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I really dig ebony boards-my Kubicki has an ebony fretboard and it rocks. I'm really partial to bubinga as a body wood, even though it has a substantial weight behind it, becuase I really like the tone and the looks. However, for a top wood I love cocobolo.

For the neck, well, it depends. I really like a nice Wenge neck, but I'm also partial to other things...
  3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    My King neck-thru is wenge / purpleheart with zebrawood wings all done up in an oil finish.

4. i like a strip of purple heart with birdseye maple on either side :) if only i could afford one :p
  5. Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I used to have a Koa BC Rich Eagle; neck and wings. If you can find the wood, I would recommend that. I also love ebony fingerboards.

Good Luck.
  6. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Ebony board with soft maple body and a dark wood top like zebra, bubinga, cocobolo, or walnut. I owned a pedulla ET-6 with zebra and it was amazing, and I've played some smiths with simmilar woods. All of them smoked.
  7. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    For metal? Yeah, it definitely matters. I'd recommend a maple neck-through with maple body wings. It'll have loads of sustain - and it'll really cut: a really good thing if you play metal...

+1 on the ebony board. All my basses have them as well. They're pure class... :cool:

8. I have two neckthroughs...one is a Carvin AC40...mahogany semi-hollow, body and mahogany neck with englemann spruce top and tuning head laminate...fretted, ebony board...strung with Labella Nylon Tape strings...the sound is resonant and clear (not bassy)...works great in just about any setting where a piano or an acoustic guitar are important parts of the sound....can be a bit "clacky" if technique is not controlled, due to the piezo pickup...if this instrument were a beer it would be a Penn Pilsner (Pittsburghers would know what I'm talking about)...for the Aussies, a James Boag

Neckthrough #2 is a maple and purpleheart wishbass...2 purpleheart strings in the maple neck, all maple body (except for thin laminate in center), fretless purpleheart fingerboard...also strung with LaBella Nylon Tape strings...the sound is deep, and articulate...very well balanced throughout the sound spectrum...instrument is very responsive with what I'd describe as a mellow sweet voice...if this instrument were a beer, it would be a Guinness Stout
  9. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Wenge/purpleheart/maple/purpleheart/wenge neck.
    Wenge fretboard.
    Mahogany body wings.

(I can't wait until it's done!!)
  10. 3-5 piece Maple neck.
    Wenge board.
    Swamp Ash wings.
    Ash or Maple top. Cocobolo also rocks but the dust is toxic. Your call!
  11. joshwilson3

May 8, 2005
    I remember that I really liked those Warwick basses that I played at Guitar Center.

Since I'll be getting two basses made.

I may go with Ebony/Maple/Koa and the other one with Wenge/Wenge/Bubinga. Though since Warwick uses bolt-on's I may go with a Wenge/Bubinga/Wenge for the neck-thru.

One bass will have Dimarzio dual P's and I'm thinking of going with MECs in the other as I really like those Warwicks I played. Those MECs are active, but act like passive.

So, what do you guys think?

12. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Wenge or Ebony fingerboard.

5 piece neck: Maple/Wenge/Maple/Wenge/Maple.

Curly Maple or Alder body wings.
  13. Well, Consider that *alot* of people consider the MEC electronics the worst part of Warwick basses, and that very little of the 'tone' you liked came from them. But on the bright side, if you do end up wanting MEC gear i'm sure there are alot of Warwick users out there with their replaced MEC pickups and preamp laying around that they'd sell you :)
  14. joshwilson3

May 8, 2005
    Why do alot of people not like the MEC pickups? It seems to me then that they don't color the tone of the bass then.

What pickups do you like?
  15. FWIW, you're right, I think the pickups are designed to be pretty transparent and "hi-fi" and i've heard that they were designed tonally after the EMG pickups that were originally put in Warwicks. I think that if someone likes that sound from the MEC pickups alot of people would agree that getting some EMG's would be the way to go.

That being said, I have almost no experience with pickups and own a Thumb with the stock MEC electronics. I do plan on switching them out at some point, so i've done a ton of reading here and elsewhere about it. Right now im slightly torn between the EMGs or Seymour Duncan's (leaning towards the SDs), with part of me wanting to try a more 'custom' selection like Aero or Nordstrands.

16. joshwilson3

May 8, 2005
    Ok. I don't think I'm wanting growl. I'm wanting something that is real deep and low. What woods would give me this? And what pickups? I'm thinking Bartolini?

17. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Walnut or Bubinga or Purple Heart -- w/ any good PUPs.

But I don't know how Walnut works for neck material.
  18. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal

I've owned many Warwicks with just about every electronics package offerred, and I would disagree that the MEC was designed after the EMG stuff. To me, all the EMG equipped Warwicks sounded very different that the MEC stuff. I actually thought that the MEC stuff, at least newer ones, sounded very similar to the Basslines stuff with a slightly less output. They definetly had that "hi-fi" thing going on. I spoke to a guy with SD who was incharge of writing diagrams for pickups and preamps, and he claims that the MEC stuff is basicly a copy of their stuff. Take that FWIW.
  19. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    For a neck through, I'd either go with Wenge/Purpleheart/Bubinga or Maple/Wenge. An Ebony board should work well with either combination.
  20. +1

I believe that walnut and mahogony have similar sonic characteristics. They look and feel similar to me. I've got an Ibanez BTB Made of mahogony, with bubinga stripes in the neck, and passive bartolini pickups, and I honestly have serious trouble getting any resemblance of a bright sound out of it. It is really really deep and bassy sounding. Not really my bag, but great for those who look for that sound. So if you like that kind of tone I suggest walnut/mahogony and bartolinis. I personally prefer a brighter sound with more bite that maple and EMG's give.