Favorite woods for bodys....

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by KAOSBass, Jan 4, 2006.

1. KAOSBass

Mar 10, 2005
    Amarillo Texas
    Granted Alder and Ash are good woods, but what else do you like?

Would Purple heart make a good tonewood for a body?

What about others?
  2. I personally feel that purpleheart is too heavy for a body.

I really like walnut; it has a nice colour, grain and it's a medium density wood.
  3. What he said.

I also really like poplar as a body wood for painted things. Softer than maple but machines and finishes like a dream. Quite a good tonewood too!
  4. I have to admit I'm rather addicted to Zebrawood, or maybe I've gotten used to the smell and working with it. :)
    But my current build does not use any Zebra, but it does have Purpleheart neck stringers.
  5. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Oh, yes, very correct.

I like local woods, just because they are good, and less transported:
    cherry (yeay!), elm (aah!), limetree (a woodworkers dream)...any wood, that is not very heavy or stiff, but easy to work.

For necks, I want not heavy, but very stiff. I.e. downy birch, oak, perhaps beech or ash.
  6. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    What everybody else said but adding Mahogany both the lightweight and the more dense variety.........t

I made a 6 that was mostly purpleheart. 13.5 lb. Way too heavy for me......t
  7. Been hanging out at the Roscoe shop lately? :D
  8. +1 on Limba as well as Walnut. Both are great. Ash is good if you want more growl.
  9. Demens

Apr 23, 2005
    Waco, Texas
    I really have a thing for Walnut...
  10. for bodies... use local woods...

poplar, walnut, pine with a hard top, pecan, maple (heavy but nice, especially when chambered), cherry, birch, or even apple.

Here in australia, I'm considering some of the "noxious weed" woods, like camphor laurel.

save the exotic woods for things like fingerboards, bridges, and lam tops....
  11. Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    I really enjoy maple bodies. Maple gives a decent growl, and with the right strings it can sound very smooth and round.
  12. Ha, I wish. then maybe I could weasel my way into being employed there.
  13. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Have we listed all viable body woods yet? How about sassafrass and butternut?
  14. Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Mahogany for me. Just stinks to work with, as in smell....
  15. Limba, walnut and koa. They look good with an oil finish, so they're good for the do it yourselfer. Sound nice too.
  16. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Bubinga. Looks beautiful, sounds very nice, but is a bit heavy... But it makes for a very nice top, especially the figured ones :smug:
  17. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    That's like asking: "have we listed all the spieces of the world, yet?". :D