1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Favorite Z. Vex Pedal/anyone tried the Rintgtone?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Aug 8, 2012.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Title says it all. Which ones are you favorites and why?

Also, anyone try the Rintone? What do you think? Better or worse or more or less usable than other ring mods?

Thanks!

2. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    The only notable thing I can say about the Ringtone is that the tones you select are audible when you're not playing and the pedal is on. Not loud, but noticeable. Not necessarily a bad thing, but worth mentioning.

3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

When I was researching about ring modulators, the Ringtone was the one that I found the most interesting/appealing. But in spite of that, I consider it way overpriced and that's why I discarded that option.

4. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    So any suggestions for more affordable ring mods?

5. Copilot has a new ring mod out, the Planetoid. It's cleaner and more chimey than their older one, the Android. I dig it, a lot. I think it's 160ish or thereabouts for price.

If you want eBay and other places, you can usually get the Moog Ring Mod for under 2 bills.

6. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    The Frequency Analyzer also seems like a good option. I've never used one, but I've always liked the tone of it.

7. echoSE7EN

echoSE7EN

Jul 1, 2010
    Balto., MD
    I've owned the Super Duper 2-in-1, the original Super Hard-on, the Lo-Fi Loop Junky, and a Fuzz Factory, and to be honest...I hated them all but the Super Hard-on. I had fallen on the hype, and thought that I'd hold onto them for the "collectible/cool" factor, but in the end I just thought they were a waste of money.

8. G.Bisson

G.Bisson

Feb 26, 2009
    Virginia
    ditto. Super cool pedal. Liked the feature of being able to cycle through different set frequencies. But the price scared me off, and it's rarity made it near-impossible to find a deal on a used one.

I settled for a C'Bread Heliotrope. It isn't just a ringmod. Think of it more as a sample rate reducer with extra ringmod on top.

After buying, getting frustrated with, and later selling a Woolly Mammoth and Mastotron, I now stay away from ZVex pedals.

9. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Hmm.

I at one time I had a WM and disliked it, but now that I've gone back to passive instruments, I re-bought a WM and I LOVE it. Not to be used all the time obviously, but being selective, it's great.

I had a guitar player buddy who had the Seek-Wah, a Wah-Probe, a Fuzz Probe and Fuzz Factory and, at least for him, I liked them, however, I have no idea what they would be like on the 4-banger.

The only Z. Vex pedals that I'd like to try would be the Ringtone, the Lo-Fi Loop Junky and this new Basstortion. Otherwise, I could pass on the majority of them.

10. Co-Pilot's Planetoid is fantastic. Clean signal, great strong sounds, Good price at approx. $165.

11. I bought a Tremorama because I got stuck with store credit at a crappy store and it looked interesting. It's not that interesting.

I got a Machine because I got one cheap used, and it's actually a great pedal. I honestly love the thing. I wouldn't sell it unless I absolutely have to. Put it before a MuRF and it goes crazy.

I also have a Ringtone, and it's okay. It does that stepped ring modulation that is very unique, but it otherwise isn't very tweakable. It does just the one thing, so I wouldn't put it on a main board.

12. CptRevell

CptRevell

Aug 15, 2011
    Maryland
    I like the WM.

Also I have a instant lo-fi junky that just sounds awesome. Adds some tasty modulation to your signal... or super squishy loud compression. Interesting mix of tones.

13. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    personally I like the zvex distortron. I don't own one, but I have heard how it sounds on and I think it sounded pretty cool. since the guys from zvex has learned that a lot of bass players use this pedal and they totally dig how it sounds on bass, they started making a distortion pedal for bass. they call it the zvex basstortion.

14. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Looked up some video's on the Co-Pilot and all I can say is wow!

What a cool little box; not to mention if you get their 'expression' pedal with it, it only gets crazier.

I think I might've found my ring mod....

15. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    Care to elaborate? What did you hate about them?

16. Shish

Shish

Sep 17, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I currently have Android, Way Huge Ringworm, EHX Ring Thing and Frantone Galcier (there is also Malekko Bit which is pretty close to ring mod). If I had to leave only one of them it would probably be the Ringworm because LFO options are amazing. Glacier sounds incredibly, I tuned it for a perfect "bells" tone is first 10 sec. Ring Thing is very versatile and has presets (!) although it takes time to figure it out.
    As for Zvex I have a clone of WM which works with active basses, sounds just like the original and cost me about 10 times cheaper.

17. bigmikebass

bigmikebass Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Fairview Park , Ohio
    Anyone interested? I have a very lightly used ringtone with cloth and hair ties.

Can post pix if you would like. $300 shipped in usa
    I'm in cleveland, oh.

message me if you would like more info.

Thanks all.
    Mike