Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

favorites

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by superbassman2000, Dec 7, 2003.

1. hello mr. Manring and mr. Lawson,
    Just a quick question for both of you. What are some of your favorites songs that you recorded? we all say which ones we like, but i never heard the ones you guys liked the best. so tell us. which songs are your favorites?
    Charlie

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    My own faves of mine?

Er, from my most recent album (For The Love Of Open Spaces) - 'Lovely' (short sax and bass duet, improvised but sounds composed).

From Not Dancing For Chicken - Ubuntu, No Such Thing As An Evil Face and Need You Now.

From Conversations - Closing Statement/At First Sight

From And Nothing But The Bass - Drifting and Chance

From 'Lessons Learned From An Aged Feline' - One Hip Cat and Here Endeth The Lesson.

And while I'm here I'll throw in my favourites of Michaels -

The Enourmous Room (was once asked in an interview what the one bit of music I wished I'd written was - this was it)
    Selene (sublime)
    Book Of Living And Dying (a beautiful tribute)

cheers

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

3. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Of Steve's solo music I especially like "MMFSOG," "Channel Surfing" and "The Inner Game," but Steve's new CD with Theo Travis is really gorgeous. Steve keeps getting better and it wouldn't surprise me if his best work is yet to come. That said, I love his playing with Ragatal in the pre-solo bass looping phase. That he developed such a command of the instrument in an ensemble context before he delved into the solo world is one of the things, in my opinion, that makes his music that much more powerful.

I tend to not be too crazy about my own recordings, but some things seem to have come out better than others. I'm pretty happy with "The Book of Lies" and "La Sagrada Familia" from The Book of Flame; The tune I did to showcase the SWR Mo' Bass, "One Mo' Thing" came out OK, too. I seem to remember a nice version of "If I Needed Someone" that I played with my old friend Michael Hedges and I've always felt pretty good about "Oyasumi Nasai," a duet I wrote for Paul McCandless and myself for Drastic Measures.

4. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    thanks for that.

Another tune of yours I loved was when you played a version of a Neil Young tune at Henflings last year - After The Goldrush, maybe? I remember being really moved by it... Evidence that can be great beauty and power in simplicity.

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

5. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    Trip here. My fave Manring recording was and is the entire "Toward the Center of the Night" record. Back to front and vice versa. I recall 12 years ago telling Mike that, and he said that the mix was too murky. That, to me was the whole charm. It's all one big colorful painting. Steve I've not heard all of your things, but I always love what I hear. Indeed!