1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

favour to ask, quite silly really. BRASS

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by THIRSTYGUMS, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Can any body here give me a small piece of brass? i have tried and tried to source some suitable sizes but can not for the life of me get any locally or online without spending £100's on big orders of metal, i need enough to make a couple of 6 string nuts.
    Ill pay ofcourse, for the metal and shipping.
    Many thanks for your help peeps:bassist:

2. What size fo you need? I was looking at this place for non bass related stuff:

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=83&step=2

EDIT: ahh, just saw your location. may still be cheaper though.

EDIT again: nope, cheapest to Europe is 78 USD - they only use UPS worldwide :(

3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Do you have any scrap metal yards in your area?

Or, does McMaster-Carr ship overseas?

4. Yvarg

Yvarg Gold Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Irvine, CA
    Ebay?

5. powerbass

powerbass Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2006
    western MA
    I needed some brass recently and I didn't want to buy it online and pay for shipping. I went to my local hardware store and bought a brass bolt that I milled down. If you have a drill press, milling machine, grinder or bandsaw you could mill your own from a thickish brass bolt.

6. Damn good idea! "makes a note"

7. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    we made our own brass in chemistry once out of pennies...

8. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    we lit magnesium on fire in my chemistry class:rolleyes:

9. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    last time i checked pennies were copper. i think brass is an alloy, or mix of metals. did you mix something with it (not sure if it is an alloy or not. failed metals class:p)

10. T2W

T2W

Feb 24, 2007
    Montreal, Canada.
    I like the idea of the brass bolt. fwiw, I got a few 'cremones' I really doubt thats the word for it in english, but anyways, some window hardware distributor could help you out with that. Its basically a long piece about 5/8 wide by 1/2 thick, 4 feet. I got em free but they gor for about 35$.

11. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    yeah we soaked it in some diarrhea and then it came out brass and sweet.

12. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Re pennies: they are a brass, which is to say they are a copper-containing alloy. If memory serves, they are currently 25% copper, 75% zinc. It's available on wikipedia.

13. Oh ya, well back in the 80's we melted down rocks and made a mess. Pennies = Brass ??????

14. kimstevens

kimstevens

Nov 12, 2002
    You might do an ebay search for "brass knife bar" -- I bought a couple from the seller which will come up, "sheakleyantiques", and they work great for nuts -- come in both 1/4" and 3/8" thicknesses. They ship worldwide from Pennsylvania, USA.

15. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

A bit of lateral thinking?

How about one of these (from £5.57)

t_blt005.

They've got a big chunk of solid brass on the bolt that you could use to make a couple of nuts - available in 4", 6", 8" and 10" sizes - should give you plenty to work with.

http://www.worldofbrass.co.uk/shop/8/18/48/index.htm

16. nice!
    never thought of that, what is the best way to cut it and work with it in your opinion?

17. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Metalwork like this assumes you have access to a vertical mill. Unless you get stock in near final dimension, I think there's too much work for hand work with files or sanding. Maybe a stationary belt sander, it you have it, can be used to take down large thicknesses, with a bit of patience.

18. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Good idea-- I can imagine combing through all areas of a hardware store, and when being asked if you need assistance, saying, "I don't want anything in particular. Just something big and made of brass."

19. i got some from a hardware store in 1.8m lengths. believe it was meant to be used as trim for something (but was just a rectangle, oddly enough) didnt end up using it for a nut though, use it for runners for my thicknessing jig.