Favourite Bass that Doesn't Exist except in your Head.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hawkeye, Dec 15, 2004.

1. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

This is a "what if" type of question. If you've had GAS over a particular bass but wanted a few modifications to the factory spec, what would they be?

Two of my "Wish Basses" are:

A. A Musicman Stingray 5 with 35" scale neck and the same double humbuckers and four band EQ that's available on the Bongo. Yeah, I'd like that one. The sound of the Bongo is very impressive, but I'm trying to warm up to the styling. Guess I'm just a conservative stuffed shirt.

B. A Fender American Deluxe Active Jazz 4 but with the larger body and 20 fret neck vs. the 22 fret MIA Deluxe Active. Both are pretty, but I sort of like the larger body better. I hardly play above the 12th fret anyway. Another way of putting it would be to have an American Series Jazz with Active pickups and electronics. More trad but with the versatility of active electronics.

These only exist in my head, and not at my local music store. I'm afraid of what a custom shop price would be for one of these.
  2. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
  3. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    -Stingray and Bongo 6's
    -Samick Cobra 6
    -Samick Tabu 6
    -Samick Fairlane 6 with passive electronics, a choice of colors, and two truss rods.
    -Valenti 6
    -MTD Kingston and Heir 6's
    -pre-1997 Warwick Fortress MasterMan 6
    -Pedulla Rapture and Rapture J 6's
    -Status SmartBass 6
    -Sadowsky 6
    -Lakland 6
    -G&L L2600 or L1600 (6-strings)

Ahhh, yes, so many basses I would totally GAS for, if only they came in a 6-string variety. In my dreams.
  4. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    one with a new headstock design, that is a stronger design than the fender headstock.
  5. Splanky

Jun 10, 2002
    Gothenburg Sweden
    Either a Stingray with a lacquerd Sterling neck.
    Or a 5 string 70`s RI jazz in Sherwood green Metallic

6. JetJazz

Sep 9, 2004
    Andreas Shark by Infeld

7. well, i would just keep this stock. an MTD American Custom 5 String with finish like this: [​IMG]
  8. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Aside from my Curbow 6 (which doesn't exist but will soon), a bass I've always imagined would be a Wal 5 with wide 19mm string spacing, buckeye facings and headstock overlay, and ebony board.

9. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Thumb bass 5 string with the wenge neck, 2 properly placed soapbars (think Roscoe placement), brassnut/bridge, and finally, 19mm spacing. Maybe warwick is listening in on this right now.
  10. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    DR Strings
    I second the vote for a Stingray w/ 35" scale and dual (Bartolini) humbuckers- but I raise you Hipshot Ultralite tuners, thru-body stringing, and possibly a carbon fiber neck w/ led's. Maybe a 5-band onboard like on Mike Pope's Fodera... with 18 volt electronics, active passive switch, and seperate volume/ tone for each humbucker when in passive mode.... also, each h/b would have it's own series/parallel/single coil switch like a Stingray 5. Flush mount straplocks, no pickguard, and a string retainer like a Lakland 5. Yeah. That would be cool. :bassist:

Or, I'd settle for a Lakland Skyline Hollowbody 5. I emailed Dan Lakin yesterday, and he said it had crossed his mind... if it happens, it'll be late next year... if this sounds good, let him know! (his email is at lakland.com).

PS- What does 'GAS' stand for?
  11. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Gear Acquisition Syndrome.
  12. BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    Fender Jazz Deluxe 6 sb/tort
    Fender PJ deluxe 6 amber/tort
    Without the protruding polepieces, thank you.
  13. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Double neck 6 string fretted / 5 string fretless...

Hmmmm... Oh Mr. Stambaugh!!

Edit: Oh, and singlecut!!
  14. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    A Jazz Bass (because I like the shape) with a 70s tele bass pickup at the neck and a Stingray-style humbucker at the bridge. Vintage thump, modern growl. I thought about building this, but chickened out. The idea is still there. If I come across another cheap-enough bass to hack up, it could still happen....
  15. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    A Modulus Flea 4 in the blue sparkle finish with matching headstock and two MM humbuckers (ala Bongo)...... mmmmmm.... sexy.....
  16. I too dream of a doubleneck. A doubleneck Ric fretted on top fretless on bottom. Dont really care about the colour.
  17. wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Mine's something similar - I love that thud, but I want more versatility. My current GAS idea is to get a new body and put my Godin SD neck, P/J pickups and controls onto it, with a Dimarzio Model 1 at the neck. I'm thinking either a Jass body or a P with the 70's style tele pickguard. Either way, black pickguard on a dark stained body (walnut or mahogany). It's unlikely to happen, but I've got to do something to keep my GAS under control.
  18. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Ash bodied four string Jazz with '70s pup spacing and a 35" scale rosewood-board neck. Natural finish and no pickguard but with a control plate, if you please.
  19. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Lakland Daryl Jones in vintage sunburst with a tort guard and rosewood neck.
  20. A stock 1971 Fender Jazz 5, 35" scale, 3-tone sunburst with tort pickguard...