Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Favourite (Double-Ball) Strings For Steinberger XL2?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Peter Weil, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Peter Weil

Peter Weil Seeker of The New Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Hi all.

Just managed to land a 1987 Steinberger XL2 and having great fun with it. I have noticed that it seems be a good platform for determining what a string set actually sounds like.

For instance, I tried the double-ball D'Addario XL's - seemed to be a bit thin in the upper mids for my tastes. Strapped on a set of GHS Pressurewound Nickels - really liked the wide-ranging, funky, snappy sound. Not 100% on the feel of them though - still getting used to it.

I'd love to experiment with other strings, especially as it's so easy to do on this bass. Any other Steinberger owners care to chime in with their experiences of double-ball strings? (flats, rounds, anything....)

Pete

2. Peter Weil

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    :bawl:

Anybody? I'm sure someone else on this board must own an XL2......

Pete

3. Rowka

Rowka Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Don't forget, you've also got the adaptor so you can use the less expensive, easily available, and wider varietied single-ball strings. ;)

I'm glad you like it.

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I use GHS roundwounds, medium gauge.

That was all local stores had in stock and I liked them enough to keep using them.

5. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Smith user here...

6. Peter Weil

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Thanks guys.

Dan, I'm not forgetting about the single-string adaptor - but the double-ball strings are just so darn convenient that it's nice to stick with the format.

Might end up trying the GHS nickel roundwounds. I tend to prefer nickels to steels anyway....

I've found a few strings of interest out there - 'Newtone' (www.doubleball.co.uk), Status Hotwires (www.status-graphite.com) - I'd love to hear if anyone has any experience with these....

Basically, I'm looking for as broad and piano-like a tone as possible from this bass. Anyone here heard Lonnie Marshall play with Weapon of Choice? He's got a fantastic XL2 tone - it'd be great to emulate.

Pete

7. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i currently have mine strung up as a tenor bass. adgc