Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

favourite Jamiroquai album?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by savagelucy, Aug 14, 2002.

1. A Funk Odyssey

4 vote(s)
    6.0%
  2. Synkronized

4 vote(s)
    6.0%
  3. Travelling Without Moving

18 vote(s)
    26.9%
  4. Return of the Space Cowboy

27 vote(s)
    40.3%
  5. Emergency on Planet Earth

14 vote(s)
    20.9%
  1. savagelucy

savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    Canada
    ??

i'm not sure what mine is....

p.s. can somebody add the ones i've missed(if any)?
    • Emergency on Planet Earth
    • Return of the Space Cowboy
    • Travelling Without Moving
    • Synkronized
    • A Funk Odyssey
      [/list=a]

2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Tough choice between Emergency on Planet Earth and Return of the Space Cowboy. My vote goes to EoPE.

3. nedthegnome

nedthegnome

Aug 5, 2002
    Wakefield
    It was a very hard choice between emergency on planet earth and the return of the space cowboy. but since i love when you gonna learn so much. i chose emergency on planet earth.

4. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    EoPE & RoSC

5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    same here... add TWM...

those three albums = Satisfaction Guaranteed

6. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    traveling without moving, definately.
    I cannot stress enough.

seriously, TWM rules. DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND???

I VILL MAKE YOU UNDERSTAND.
    YOU VILL COWER BEFORE ME.

*ahem*

imho of course.

7. funk odyssey - samples of live bass playing/synth bass. Some cool lines though.

Synkronized - mostly synth bass, decent basslines.

Travelling Without Moving - Great live bass playing. Cool tone, old school flavor, Awesome basslines. My favorite.

Return of the Sapce Cowboy - Badass bass playing. Awesome use of effects, funky fills, lotsa improv. Another favorite.

Emergency on Planet Earth - Horrible production... But it still has some great playing on it. IMO, the bass tone is really bad, but the basslines make up for it.

8. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico

my thoughts exactly... good work Drone :)

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Drone: Very accurate. Although it was "High Times" that finally pushed me to buy a bass, I chose ROTSC. I cannot believe it took me 4 years to get a bass after discovering Stu's playing. If I had to choose a real fave, the it would be Funky Paranoia, She's Cosmic, and Roseland Ballroom. All live bootlegs.

10. deepbob

deepbob

Oct 3, 2001
    left field
    i used to hate jamiraqui as a principle when they were first around, they just worked the commercial channel so well in london and i resented that as a marketing guy for some reason.

anyway, funny story, i really pissed off a bunch of heads once at a widespread panic concert when during intermission they played one of the later jamiraqui albums.

i turned around, quite happy at the tune selection, but said, "in my day, we called this Disco!", and people got sooo pissed off.

whereas i thought it was fookin hilarious.

at any rate i love the first three, but really lost interest in the last couple. the bass synth is the only redeeming quality of the newer albums imho, and while i can certainly understand the appeal from a dance perspective, i think the "rythm section" of jamiraqui now has one of the most L7 white nazi jazz band sounds i've ever heard. the bass is still great, but that's about it to my ear.

which is a real tragedy, they were fairly unique/important in context (cause of the exposure to quality sounds) and very much a positive thing in that regard.

but bass is nothing without equally "flavorful" drums imho and i feel they really lost that nice lock up when stewart departed/they got big on the dance beats/drum machine and lost their organic funk drumming to color stu's harmonic stylings - while i won't pretend to know how the drums/personell reconfiged over that time to make such a different change, i don't follow personel very closely.

11. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    "Space Cowboy" has the best basswork of the bunch.

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    It's funny that you say that, because it's one of the worst mixed albums ever. I read somewhere that they (Sony/Work Group) were in a hurry to release it, so the mixdown was incomplete. It really jumps out at you, but it's also my favorite Jami CD as well.

13. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    Hehe, me too!

*hums the synth*

:):):)

14. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Gotta be ROTSC - Just Another Story & Stillness In Time are genius. JAS is one of the funkiest things ever IMHO. Scam, Half The Man, & Space Cowboy are great too.

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Hi Moley!

I think that Travellin' has the funkiest basslines - most prominent in the mix - real 70s funk!!

But Space Cowboy is jazzier and lighter - with electric piano dominating the mix - so no surprise you like it best!!

For me - the first three go : Acid Jazz meets big band and environment. Small Jazz group. Funk group!

Cowboy is for pianists and Travellin' is for the basslines!! ;)

16. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Spotted this in my local record shop - it came out yesterday.

[​IMG]

It is NOT an actual Jamiroquai album, but a compilation of influential artists/tracks selected by Jay Kay. Here's the tracklisting:

1. Pointer Sisters - Happiness
    2. Commodores - Girl I think the world about you
    3. Rufus & Chaka Khan - Once you get started
    4. Johnny Hammond - Fantasy
    5. Ramsey Lewis - Whisper zone
    6. Leon Ware - Whats your name
    7. Ashford & Simpson - Stay free
    8. Kleeer - Tonight's the night
    9. Dexter Wansel - Never forget
    10. Sister Sledge - Pretty baby
    11. Jose Feliciano - California dreaming
    12. Skyy - Here's to you
    13. Dexter Wansel - Life on Mars
    14. The Real Thing - Raining in my sunshine
    15. Lalo Schifrin - Theme from Enter The Dragon
    16. Marvin Gaye - Here My Dear
    17. Patrice Rushen - Music of the earth

17. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    +1 for Synkronized!

(i accidently voted for TWM - couldn't remember which album i was thinking of and had to preview @ amazon :p)

18. I think the bass lines on Space Cowboy might have more of a wow! factor, but Travelling Without Moving is my favorite. Especially the song "Use The Force."

19. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Basslines, production quality, live vs. synth, with or without Stu, etc. notwithstanding, I have to say EoPE. For the simple fact that album was my first real taste of Jamiroquai. There's a certain kind of affinity I have towards the music in those songs that isn't as intense emotionaly with the rest of the albums (the music is great on all of 'em, no doubt) My ears were being opened little by little around that time and something about Emergency kicked the door in.:D

Know wut I mean?

-RH

20. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I recently completed my Jamiroquai collection.

so far, I can't pick a favorite.

A funk odyssey is good, but I think I like return of the space cowboy more.

however "feels so good"(funk odyssey) is a GREAT song.