Favourite Jazzman!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BrettAM, Aug 17, 2002.

1. I was going to post a poll but then I realized there's too many great Jazz artists, so here goes...

What is your favourite Jazz artist of all time? Why? What do you think makes he/she stands out amongst the rest of the great ones? I'm not limiting this to just bassists so all names are welcome.

I'll always have to tip my hat to Thelonius Monk, just because his songs were so much fun to listen to. I'll always love Miles and Mingus and Louis of course, but to me the monk is just more fun to listen to. :D

So what's everyon else think?
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Probably Miles Davis, but Thelonious is not far behind.
    I really like Duke Ellington, mainly as a composer.
  3. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    As a player, John Coltrane, simply for his expression, passion, and dedication to the artform.
  4. For me it would have to be Miles. No other jazz artist could say so much with so few notes. He really was one of the most diverse, unique, and exceptional jazzers ever. No one could mistake his sound and his style for someone else.
  5. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I would have to say Charles Mingus. His compositions and interpretations of others are excellent and his solos just flow from his fingers.
  6. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Tony Williams. He heard stuff I still can't conceive.
  7. I hear ya.
  8. Lipis Roman

Lipis Roman

Mar 5, 2002
    Tough call. I'd have to go with either Pres or J.J. Johnson. Both players music and style really do it for me. Still a tough call though, Kid Ory is up there somewhere too, really close.
  9. mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    Sun Ra ... lots of experimenting and very ahead of his time
  10. Hmm...this is way too had. Coltrane, Mingus, LaFaro, Hancock, Arturo Sandoval, Dizzy Gillespie, Pat Metheny, John McLaughlin...
  11. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    TW is my favourite drummer...hands down(my e-mail "handle" should be a clue: Jaco & Tony).
    Check out Vertigo(Jackie McLean); I think Williams was about 17 when that was recorded. So young & swingin' like a madman. Really, there oughta be a law. ;)
    Miles' Four & More live discs...TW is going off on "So What". Talk about turning it up a notch.

Anyway, Coltrane is my all-time favourite musician & I'll leave it at that...

Major props too for-
    Sam Rivers
    Eric Dolphy
    Wayne Shorter
    Andrew Hill
    Ornette Coleman
  12. as a composer, i will always take thelonius as my main man. his songs just have so many neat little variations that seem like they wouldnt be that much but in the end make all the difference. epistrophy, i mean you, well you needn't are just some of my favorites and man, all his tunes are just so amazing.

as a player, that's tougher but i'd probably go with jaco. i just love the tone so much.

13. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    If you want some 'brain pain'-
    I just picked up a 2-cd set by Alan Silva(& The Celestial Communication Orchestra...sidemen include Lester Bowie, Alan Shorter, Joseph Jarman, Roscoe Mitchell, Steve Lacy, Don Moye, etc + a few guys from the European Free scene).
    ONE long piece on 2 cds...

14. Miles
    Charlie (both of them)
    & slightly more contemporary - Herbie
  15. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    favourite jazzers?

Bill Frisell, though Jazz is way too narrow a term for the man.
    Coltrane - defined the word 'soul'
    Miles - the finest example of 'axe as voice' that I can think of.
    Patitucci - just for 'One More Angel', a work of depth and heart.
    Jimmy Haslip - anyone who's seen the 'Jackets live should know why... :)

there you go

16. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Jean Luc Ponty - Violinist who's AMAZING!
    Fela Kuti, Pastorius, Dizzy, Parker, Jeff Lorber........
    Who the hell am I kidding? I was raised on jazz music. I can't pick a fave, but I do love Jean Luc Ponty's music!
  17. Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    I'd have to say John Coltrane. I don't really think any other jazz musician accomplished as much musically as he did during his short proffesional career.

18. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Maybe not the best, but may favorite would be Vince Guaraldi. He was an outstanding musician.
  19. For me:

Coltrane... First influenced me as a teenager, still can't get some of his compositions and solo improvisation lines out of my head. I'll feel better if they ever come out of my hands!
  20. Composer - Miles Davis
    Player - Steve Gadd (tomorrow I'll feel differently about it)