Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Favourite Music-Related Quotes?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BassGod, Jul 30, 2004.

1. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I'm not sure if this has been done before, but I just thought we could all post our favourite music-related quotes. :) I only have one:

''I'd rather be catchy than a virtuoso... I can jack off at home, I don't wanna do it on a record.''

~Mike Dirnt (Green Day)

Peace,
    Graeme :bassist:

2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    "Close enough for jazz."
    -Jaco Pastorius

"Bass players will soon become the standing armies of the world protecting their nations with the latest sub harmonic weaponry."
    -Dann Glenn

The last one makes me giggle :D

3. " Im a Golden God"- Robert Plant

I like to say that one when im on someones roof on acid about to jump into their pool.

4. Ace123

Ace123

Sep 25, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    "In order to have that incredible groove that makes you dream, you have to not think about the groove, but think about the dream."
    -Mike "Cactus" Gordon
    (Phish)

5. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    "Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
    - Victor Hugo

"Without music, life would be a mistake."
    - Friedrich Nietzche

I prefer the first one (it's been in my MSN profile for ages).

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    An Amateur Practices till he gets it right, A Professional practices till he never gets it wrong.

and the bold part of my sig.(replace "read" with "heard, it's a miles quote)

7. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    "Bass player? That's just a drummer that stands up."
    -Someone in the crowd when an opening band's bassist was late to the stage.

"Our music is completely selfish, but we’re not above-average human beings. So if we’re getting it, there’s got to be other people who will too."-Omar Rodriguez

8. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    "I envy us" Derek Smalls

"But it goes to eleven!" Nigel Tuffnel

"Women, Children and the rythym section first!" Jaco Pastorius

"Is he deaf?" Thelonius Monk(reacting to being asked twice by a reporter if he liked country music when he had already answered to the first asking of the same question with silence)

****no disrespect to country music, I personally love it, but T.Monk's answer has to be one of the greatest retorts I have ever heard***

9. "What would Rock n Roll be without feedback"

David Gilmour

10. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

When introduced by Tommy Smothers "...this guy who plays the sloppy drums", he answered: "My friends call me Keith, you can call me John".

11. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    "Just remember...no matter where you go or what you do...you were there!"

Diamond Dave

:smug:

12. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    ...and for what its worth, maybe we should split this thread into a David Lee Roth section and EVERYONE ELSE IN THE UNIVERSE before this thing fills up to the brim with Diamond Dave quotes!!! :D

13. "Avril [Lavigne] is a masterful guitarist, much like Shakira."
    -Chris Cornell, Channel [V] Interview.

Q: You were in a band called Electric Sheep. Electric Sheep? Dude, what exactly were you thinking at that time?

A:"In a world of bands called Limp Bizkit and Hoobastank, Electric Sheep rolls off the tongue like a Shakespearean love sonnet. Leave me alone."
    - Tom morello

14. When Malcolm Young of AC/DC was asked in a Guitar Player interview why he did not play lead:

"No I don't play any lead. It interferes with my drinking."

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The creedo of musicians everywhere. You live by these words, you die by these words:

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

"Hit it."

16. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    "They had about a spoon of talent among them, and they put it all in that one song." - A radio show host talking about Devo's "Whip It".

Miles: "Marcus, how soon can you be in New York?"
    Marcus: "I can be there on Monday."
    Miles: "What the f*#% are you gonna do, walk?! Get your a** on a plane and be here tomorrow!"

17. Andrew Eldritch comes up with some good ones. Here are a couple of my favs.

"We are the light at the end of your sorry little tunnel."

"It's all a matter of technique. We have it, and you don't, so if you shut the f*** up, we'll play some songs and everyone'll be happy."

18. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    "Come on, man. I had a rough night and I hate the ____in' Eagles, man!" -- The Dude

19. Oh ya..i always got a kick out of this one :D

"Your talking to someone who really understands rock music." -Tipper Gore

20. hahaha priceless!!!!!!!