Favourite, must have always on effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by littlebooner, Dec 12, 2018.

1. I recently have been rehearsing with a hard rock cover band where we are trying to put on a high energy show. There are enough songs that will need effects that I'm considering purchasing a multi-effects processor so I can have enough presets to easily and quickly scroll through between songs.

Whether you use multiple pedals or multi-effects, what are your favourite, must have, always on pedals/effects in your chain regardless being clean or distorted or other effect on top?

Feel free to add why or how you use the effects.

Thanks in advance!

2. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    HPF and compressor

fourstr00, lowplaces, interp and 3 others like this.
  3. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show In Memoriam

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    Dirt, I like Dirt

4. Keeley Bassist and MXR Phase90, the compressor to limit peaks and just sort of even out the tone. The phaser just gives a nice depth and makes for an interesting tone in the style of music I play. Both are always on, no matter what.

5. I'd pick my JHS Pulp 'N' Peel. Then, my Aguilar Fuzzistor.

And of course, my TC Electronic Polytune (because we all need one)

6. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    You have your fuzz pedal always on?

7. I'm currently gigging with a grunge project as a hired gun. The director of the project asked me to have the Fuzz always on. It works haha. That's how she imagined her sound. The only time when I switched it off is for one part of one of the songs of the set. I know it's weird to have the Fuzz always on

aarjamson and Zbysek like this.
  8. A buffer, noise gate, and Echoplex preamp are the only things I keep on all the time these days.

9. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Lucky you. I have never had a musical director asking me to have any of my effects on...

10. Hahaha, yes. It's strange. In one of my other projects, we play kind of very atmospheric songs, so I have plenty freedom to include effects (and I have a big pedalboard). However, FOH guys never like bass pedals. They can spend 20 minutes in each guitar player, but they never spend any time with bass effects. Luckily, I know all my pedals.

For this grunge project, it's only the Fuzz and a Tuner...so no problem

Zbysek likes this.
  11. I had a front of house guy for an outdoor gig that was really cool. We were playing up on country gigs, and we were a very loud rock band. At the time, I was using two Tech 21 BDDI's into a Pro MPA with two cabs. He immediately got excited about a bass player NOT playing clean. He didn't want to DI either, he wanted to mic the cabs. Blew my mind.

wmmj, javi_bassist and Zbysek like this.
  12. I wish I could find guys like that one haha. I'm not complaining about everyone (of course I've found really cool guys in some gigs) but the general feeling when they look at my pedalboard is not good. There was one time that the sound guy thought it was one of the guitarist's pedalboards and he was very excited. Then I told him it was mine and his face changed completely. What is more, the guitar player was only using an overdrive and a booster :p. Guitar players... hahaha

wmmj and Zbysek like this.
  13. MXR bass distortion and my Boss Limiter/Enhancer...compressor into the distortion... always on... not crazy full blown fuzz but distorted past what an overdrive will do, about 55%clean and 45% wet... with my pre gain on the mesa d-800+ at about 4:00... gnarrrrrrly through my shallow peavey model 215...

14. I think it's because they like to be lazy with the bass. Set it and forget and just let it stay there all night and ride the guitars and vocals. They don't seem to realize us bass players like to join in on the fun too, it seems. That's one of only two times I've actually had a FOH person. Most of the time, we had to be our own engineers.

javi_bassist likes this.
  15. Viper617

Viper617

Sep 11, 2018
    I’m part of a two piece bass and drum band so usually I have a ton of effects constantly going. on my guitar side I usually have a fuzz factory and a harmonizer that’s harmonizing octave up doublestops, and on my bass side I usually have the distortion effect from an ME-20B going or a future impact depending on the song.

oZZma likes this.
  16. renobassman

renobassman

Jul 27, 2011
    Tennessee
    Compressor - I like to play with a heavy attack at times for tonal reasons, and it keeps the spikes in volume under control

MXR 10-band Eq - great for making small eq adjustments to accommodate different rooms without having to mess with the amp settings. Also have a big cut at 31.25 to keep the lows under control

Zbysek likes this.
  17. It's funny, because so many bassists use effects in popular music for a long time. I just dont think some people realize it. Not to mention, a lot of bass players used to play with a dirty tune using the gain on their amp back in the day and if I am trying to emulate that with a clean sounding amp, I need effects.

18. Leonid Nidis

Leonid Nidis

Jan 1, 2018
    The whole "chain" is always on diamond compressor+EBS Valve drive di.Sounds like train passing by :)

Zbysek and hintz like this.
  19. I can name more bass players from the 70's that used dirty tones than I can clean. They were just weren't totally fuzzed out like people tend to think.

20. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

I bought a Markbass Compressore primarily for slap, but liked what it did for my tone so much that I ended up just leaving it on. And it's been on for about 5 years now.

Driven Crane, Zbysek, hintz and 3 others like this.