Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Favourite piano piece?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bushfire, Oct 22, 2005.

1. I've just started playing piano (I figured it could also help my bass playing), and am (slowly) learning to sight read. What are some of your favourite piano pieces? I don't really like the classical stuff (bach,mozart,beethoven etc) but I have found one piece that I really enjoy:

To Zanarkand - [size=-1]Nobuo Uematsu, composed for the video game "Final Fantasy X"

How about you guys?
    [/size]

2. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Claire de Lune - Claude DeBussy
    Gymnopedie - Erik Satie

...for starters... :)

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Keith Jarret's Korn Concert.
    I think it qualifies as a single piece of music ?

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Bwaaahhhaaa.
    Best typo ever.
    I have to leave this one :D.

5. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    pavane for a dead princess, a classic. :cool:

6. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Moonlight Sonata.

7. lbpark

lbpark Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Mobile, Al.
    +1

8. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    Pathethique-Beethoven

9. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    'Ritual Fire Dance" by Manuel de Falla. Originally it's an orchestral piece but it's been adapted to piano as well, very intense and VERY cool!

10. Piano Piece #13

:D

11. Syeknom

Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    Moonlight Sonata for sure.

Or Yuki Kajiura - Before Dawn from the .hack//SIGN soundtrack.

12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Final Fantasy X has a great soundtrack. I started to learn 'to zanarkand' but never followed up.

I really like this piece from the cowboy bebop movie, I made this version
    http://www.jazzmess.com/down/mooch/Dijurido_novocals.mp3

I also have 'the rite of spring' performed on 2 pianos. It's pretty neat.

Steve Reich's 'piano phase' is also a really neat piece.

13. +1 thats probably my favorite piano piece, in fact, it's also the first bass tapping piece i learned!

also a +1 for wrong robot and the final fantasy piano pieces...they are amazing.

14. My wife plays lots of Stride and Boogie Woogie. "Yancey's Special" is one of our favorites. Check out Judy Carmichael's book on Stride.

You might as well spend your time playing what you like to hear. So, learn the the songs you enjoy listening to and don't be dissuaded by how complicated they may be. What is more significant, being able to play 15 songs like "Row, Row Your Boat" after a year of practice, or one song like "Maple Leaf Rag" that will turn heads?

15. The tune "Wind" from Naruto Season 1.

I prefer the FF8 score Nobuo Uematsu did in comparison to the rest of his work. It's much more beautiful, in my opinion, especially "Eyes on Me." In fact, I arranged the entire tune for extended range bass (6 strings) a while back. Really neat tune.

16. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    'Moonlight Sonata' is definitly one of the best songs ever written IMO. Also 'Ascension' by Divinity Destroyed, J.S. Bach's 'Invention #13', Beethoven's 'Fur Elise' (how original of me), and every song on George Winston's album 'Autumn'.

Graeme

17. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    There is this piano player/composer named Steve Kuhn, dunno if any of you guys have heard him. He has this song called 'Trance'... blows my mind. It's not solo piano, but naturally, he's featured quite extensively. I first heard it on NPR one day and then I immediately bought the album. Incredible stuff.

18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I like the piano in November Rain by Guns 'N Roses. But my favorite would have to be "The Angel Song" by Great White.

-Mike

19. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Oh yeah, how could I forget 'School' by Supertramp? The solo in that song kills me every time. Cool bass line too. :smug:

Graeme

20. Moonlight Sonata or the I Might Be Wrong version of Like Spinning Plates