Favourite psychedelic albums

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bass87, Jun 11, 2003.

1. I'm starting to get into loads of psychedelic stuff, through my Dad, who was presumably a hippie, but it's kinda hard to tell if you look at him now :D

Anyway, what are everyone's favourite psychedelic albums? Mine have to be:

• Jefferson Airplane - After Bathing at Baxters
    • Quicksilver Messenger Service - Self titled
    • Love - Forever Changes
    • Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn
    • The Beatles - Revolver
  2. Yggdrasil

Aug 16, 2001
    Well, you have the right album in the #1 spot - Baxter's is clearly the definitve psychedelic recording of all time (I can hear the protests now :)

Others would include other Airplane/spinoff albums like Crown of Creation (really, anything by Jefferson Airplane);Kantner:Blows Against the Empire; Kantner & Slick : Sunfighter and Baron von Tollbooth & the Chrome Nun. Maybe Hot Tuna :Burgers & America's Choice

Dead : Anthem of the Sun; Aoxomoxoa & Live/Dead.

Procol Harum: Salty Dog & Home

Robin Trower : Twice Removed from Yesterday & In City Dreams

King Crimson: Islands & Lizard (& maybe the first two)

Fripp & Eno : No Pussyfooting

Stones: Their Satanic Majesties Request

Talk Talk : Spirit of Eden (or Laughing Stock)

Pierce Turner: It's Only a Long Way Across

Cream: Disraeli Gears & Wheels of Fire

Spirit: The 12 Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus

Tim Buckley : Star Sailor

Traffic #1,

Led Zeppelin #1

Man: a crap shoot, but try Maximum Darkness

Bill Nelson : Chance Encounters in the Garden of Light

Psychic TV : Force the Hand of Chance; or Trip Reset

David Hykes/ Harmonic Choir : Hearing Solar Winds

Vision : The Music of Hildegard von Bingen (actually Richard Souther)

Dead Can Dance : Aion

This Mortal Coil, esp #1

Van Morrison : Astral Weeks

Animals: The Twain Shall Meet

John Martyn : One World

Santana : Welcome

Family : Music in a Doll's House

Kate Bush : Hounds of Love

Concrete Blonde : Bloodletting & Walking in London

Gene Clark : No Other

Byrds: The Notorious Byrd Brothers

David Crosby: if I could only remember my name...

Jimi Hendrix: Electric Ladyland

Miles Davis: Bitches Brew, Big Fun, Agharta , Pangaea

Pastorius,Metheny, Ditmas & Bley

Harold Budd: Pavilion of Dreams

Terry Riley: Rainbow in Curved Air

Spiritualized : ladies & gentlemen, we are floating in space

I'm sure I'll think of more shortly
  3. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
  4. 72beetle

Jun 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Soundtrack to the original production of 'Hair'. Walking In Space and The Flesh Failures still give me goosebumps to this day.

Also, depending on what you're looking for out of a psychodelic album, take a look at the first few Tangerine Dream albums.

5. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Great recommendations above, hard to add to.

Let me add:

Hendrix - Axis: Bold as Love, one of my desert island albums
    Pink Floyd - Saucerful of Secrets, most Syd Barret era Floyd
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Lotsa good choices already mentioned.

Having lived through the "Acid Wars" of the late 60's/early 70's, some of my faves are -

> The cuts "Peace of Mind" and "Fruit and Icebergs" on the album New! Improved! Blue Cheer. Like Syd Barrett (sp?) of Pink Floyd, the guitarist, Randy Holden had an LSD mind-melt. But on those tracks, his guitar playing was astounding and terrifying!!!!

> The first Blue Cheer album, Vincebus Ereptum. This album was mandatory for anyone doing drugs in the later 60's and established Blue Cheer as the loudest band of their time.

> Electric Ladyland by The Jimi Hendrix Experience

> "Journey to the Center of the Mind" The Amboy Dukes (w/Ted Nugent)

> Inna-Gadda-Da-Vida by Iron Butterfly....pure bong-hit-rock

> If you want a fine variety of psychedelia, listen to the some samples off of the "Nuggets" collections at this link - http://www.rhino.com/store/CatalogList.lasso?Style=Psychedelic

The Grateful Dead were undoubtedly big on the scene but I never could stand them, even in concert, so I can't reco them. They put me to sleep.

Avignon - Love your choice of 12 Dreams of
    Dr. Sardonicus. That album is a masterpiece....even without the mescaline I did the first time I heard it!
  7. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    MMW: combustification
    Galactic: Late for the Future
    Phish: Billy Breathes
    Black Crowes: Amorica
  8. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Definitely Revolver.
    In short, anything with sitar & backwards guitar solos.

I also like Avignon's Miles Davis suggestions.
  9. man, i was born thirty years later than i shoulda been...

i like phish's "lawnboy," would that be considered psychedelic?
    pink floyd- anything. i love all floyd i've ever heard. dark side is great.
    osyterhead's album is kinda trippy and out there.
  10. Although Sgt Pepper is often used to sum up the psychedelic era, it doesn't really do it for me. I dunno why, the first side is excellent, but after that it kinda trails off IMO.

Oh well, to each his own :cool:
  11. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Angels Egg and You by GONG. Psychedelic Canterbury prog-rock with alot of very good players.
  12. corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Emotions, SF Sorrow, Parachute by the Pretty Things- tremendous Abbey Road production, huge stacked vocals, all sorts of groovy swirly sounds and freaked out fuzz.

Piper at the Gates Of Dawn- THE most psychedelic album- an absolute must-hear for anyone who thinks Pink Floyd is mellow 70's music. If all you've heard is Dar Side and teh Wall, this will warp your spine.

The Move- greatest hits. The skronkiest bass sound of all time- "Here We go 'Round The Lemon Tree", "Omnibus", "I Can Hear The Grass Grow", "Night Of Fear" and Roy Wood swears he wasn't doing anything when he wrote these tunes.

Small Faces: "Ogden's Nut Gone Flake"- a wonderful period piece.

The Dukes Of Stratosfear- Chips From The Chocolate factory- XTC's alter- egos doing a dead-on pastiche of all that was Psychedelia on period gear and actually producing a classic. Colin Moulding plays amazing state- of-the-art 1968 bass.

The first Traffic album is definitely representative of the movement, Led Zep 1 is not. Revolver is a bit early, Sgt. Pepper was the logical mass- media representation of it, but the real deal was going on at the UFO club- the "14 hour technicolour dream" for, like, 200 people.

Kudos on the Love album, that's a classic (and currently being toured by Arthur Lee and various acolytes). Though it's a bit more garage oriented, the Nuggets 2 box set is amazing. There's some good psych from bands like Tomorrow (Steve Howe's first band), The Smoke ("My friend Jack eats sugarlumps"), etc., etc.

Phish, Oysterhead and most especially the Black Crowes have nothing at all to do with Psychedelia.
  13. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Dead; Live Dead

Hendrix; Band of gypsies

14. Pink Floyds The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn. Recorded in the studio next door to Sgt Pepper.... co-incidence?

Anyway, IMO, this album is psycadelic and then some. It also has a kinda hard edge to it that almost leans towards punk, and that I dig.
  15. Russ B.

Russ B.

Jun 13, 2003
    Erie, PA
    A few good ones come to mind: "The cheerful insanity of Giles, Giles, and Fripp" which features Robert Fripp before he formed King Crimson. The first two Hawkwind albums are also a trip. And you might check out some things from a group called "Gong."
  16. pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    Any album from Guru-Guru
  17. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    That is the first album that came to mind when I saw this thread.
    The second is Pink Floyd's Umma Gumma.
    Captain Beyond (the album with the 3D cover).
    Robin Trower's Bridge of Sighs album.
    Uriah Heep's Magician's Birthday.
    Yes Close to the Edge.
  18. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I love that album...Xmas present in '72.
    Best when listened to under the BLACK LIGHTS.

Allowed a friend to borrow it, he moved to Italy, & eventually returned with no record & NO MEMORY OF EVER BORROWING IT! The yahoo.

Finally found it on cd after about a 20-year wait
  19. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000

Bummer, I have lost many albums that same way.

Dancing madly backwards, dancing on a sea...
  20. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Even though it seems like a bunch of back-scratching between Turock and myself, Turock definitely has an educated appreciation of and has a fine read on the psychedelic era, It's just undeniable - Turock and I both share an appreciation of was there at the time to trip us out.

Try going to this link - http://www.beakerstreet.com/1stpage.htm The radio station DJ there, Clyde Clifford of KAAY (at that time), played psychedelic album cuts that were so far "out there," they were were "in." They still broadcast his show of tunes from that era, on the radio and online.

Just look at the playlists listed there that he still does every week. They're pure psychedelia that sounds like any decent underground FM station in the late 60's-early 70's. Anyone who lived through the Acid Wars will flip over the playlists.

Too bad recording technology wasn't so advanced as it is now, when Blue Cheer recorded "Louder Than God" -