Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Favourite Steely Dan songs/albums

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by moley, Jan 19, 2003.

1. Can't Buy A Thrill

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  2. Countdown To Ecstasy

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  3. Pretzel Logic

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
  4. Katy Lied

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
  5. The Royal Scam

6 vote(s)
    13.0%
  6. Aja

22 vote(s)
    47.8%
  7. Gaucho

7 vote(s)
    15.2%
  8. Two Against Nature

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    So, folks, what are your favourites? I've done a poll for the albums - if you have a particular favourite album vote for it, but post the songs and albums you particularly like.

So, I'll start off the bidding with a vote for The Royal Scam. It was a close one - Aja and Countdown To Ecstasy were in the running.

And individual songs... Turn That Heartbeat Over Again, Razor Boy, Your Gold Teeth, Caves Of Altamira, Don't Take Me Alive, The Fez, Green Earrings, Haitian Divorce, Black Cow, Aja, Peg, & Time Out Of Mind get honourable mentions, for me.

But I love all the albums.

2. Can't Buy a Thrill - Reelin In the Years

Gaucho - Hey Nineteen, Time out of Mind

Aja - Peg, Josie

Two Against Nature - West Of Hollywood

THAT's the stuff right there!!!!!!!!!!!

b

3. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I like Black Cow.

4. NOLABASS

NOLABASS

Oct 16, 2002
    New Orleans
    I think thats one of the wonderful things about those recordings, year after year I can put those on and there's always something fresh to hear or learn. I feel the same about Little Feat (with Lowell)I listen very differently now I'm 40ish than I did when I was 14. My favorites change with the seasons. Just recently bought the complete Steely Dan transcriptions and I'm having a whole new layer come at me. Cool. Favorite album would be either Pretzel Logic, or Royal Scam. songs: night by night, pretzel logic, Daddy don't live NY, Haitian divorce, change of the guard. on and on. I've got an album somewhere with some early stuff and takeouts that has some gems on it, but can't find it right now.

5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Man after my own heart. The Dan, Little Feat, and Weather Report were my favorite bands of the '70s.

6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Wait wait..... people actully LIKE steely dan?

Wow.

7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Sure, lots of people.

Now who are YOUR favorites, so we can be sure to make fun of them?;)

8. NOLABASS

NOLABASS

Oct 16, 2002
    New Orleans

One mans poison ivy is another man's spinach.

9. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Oh i wasent making fun of them, just a little fun guys.;)

10. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Right back atcha.

11. NOLABASS

NOLABASS

Oct 16, 2002
    New Orleans
    Yea, I remember when Vans were cool and it was OK to like Steely Dan. You have to put it in context, our choices were STYX/Boston or Steely Dan/Dixie Dregs. Which would you prefer?

12. Like, he says.

Hell, I got Steely Dan wallpaper in my living room.

:D

13. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA

Dude, Boston kicked ASS.

14. NOLABASS

NOLABASS

Oct 16, 2002
    New Orleans
    OK man, now your just trying to make me mad. ;)

15. Matthew T.

Matthew T.

Feb 17, 2002
    Springdale, AR
    a few fave songs are:

everything from Aja
    Black Friday
    Show Biz Kids
    Any Major Dude Will Tell You
    Midnight Cruiser

16. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I chose Gaucho for songs like Glamour Profession, Babylon Sisters, Time Out of Mind, and the title track. It's real unfair to ask for a favorite SD CD. They are gods! My favorite songs would have to be The Caves of Altamira & Charlie Freak, such a sad song.
    I also love the unreleased stuff like Love At Century's End and Crazy Nina. Also the Becker solo stuff like Surf and or Die and Book of Liars, and of course Fagan solo stuff.

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I have them all and like them all - at first I had favourites but now I just go round and round playing them and liking everything, as they are all "old friends".

It must be 20 years since i got into them! So I can remember buying Countdown to Ecstacy on vinyl in the 70s and then loving everythin they did. Katy Lied was a bit disappointing at the time, but now I like quite a few of the tracks and sing along to them like the rest - although I still hate the guitar solo(s) on Black Friday!! ;)

18. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I just listened to a load of their albums yesterday, after starting this thread, actually. I'd forgotten how great Gaucho was - and Pretzel Logic. I'll still stick with The Royal Scam as my favourite I think, but they're all so good.

Woodchuck - I've not heard that unreleased stuff - what's it like? What era?

And yeah, I like Fagen's solo stuff (especially The Nightfly), though I've not heard Becker's.

19. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I LOVE that solo!
    ...as much as I love Andy Summers' solo on "Driven To Tears"! ;)
    More Katy Lied? Revisit "Your Gold Teeth II"...some nice Rainey/Porcaro ODD interplay. Nice guitar solo, too. ;)

Personally, I'm into the big 3-
    Royal Scam..."Kid Charlemagne", "The Fez", "Green Erarrings". Bad!
    Aja..."Josie", "Aja", "Black Cow".
    Gaucho..."Glamour Profession", "My Rival", "Time Out Of Mind", "Babylon Sisters", etc.
    ...sorry, can't pick just 1, either.

BTW, is there a reason why the LIVE album is not included on this poll?

20. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've got the live DVD as well - should that be included - nice interview with Tom Barney! ;)