1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Favourite Tube Heads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lungflower, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Lungflower

Lungflower

Jan 19, 2012
    Looking into upgrading my rig near the end of this month!
    I've been playing too many low-output amps, and I'm sick and tired of competing with my lead player's delicious sounding heads.

I'm interested to hear opinions on some of the great tube amps that may not have been popular in the past.

One of the greatest sounds I've heard for bass has definitely been the 300T, and of course the early SVT stuff. These two being quite difficult to obtain (especially the latter, for a good price ;) ). I've been tempted to bite the bullet and pay the full price for a Bassman 300 Pro, but I'd like to survey my options.

Thanks for reading!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    There are a lot of really good tube bass amps out there, and a couple of duds, too, though that's in the eye of the beholder. But only SVT's truly get it for me. Vintage, new, CL, VR, doesn't matter to me...there's no such thing as a bad SVT.

3. Billnc

Billnc

Aug 6, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    SVT early 70's. I'm a solid state guy now but that is tone heaven.

4. SactoBass

SactoBass I like all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    The US made Ampeg SVT-VR amp I had was the best sounding amp I have ever owned (IMO).

Jaw-dropping tone!

Note: I have never had the pleasure of owning a 70's era SVT.

5. Clammy

Clammy

Nov 3, 2008
    Ottawa, Canada
    Endorsing Artist: Neal Moser Guitars, DR Strings
    Check out the Marshall VBA 400. I have one and it's a BEAST!

Cheers!
    :bassist::bassist::bassist:

6. I've owned both Fender 300 pro & SVTII (non-pro). While the Fender is a great amp, I found it not as lush as the SVT. & a SVT-VR would be my choice if I had one these days.
    Sure a vintage SVT would be great, but the fact that I HAVE to DI most of my gigs would seal it for me.
    Especially as 'seasoned' SVT users on here say that they find it virtually identical tonally to the real vintage beasts.
    My 2c

7. Lungflower

Lungflower

Jan 19, 2012
    Quite impressed by the VBA, although it seems it may be hard to obtain as well.

I have the opportunity to purchase a cheap SVT2 Pro, I'm just not sure it's what I want.

I had the opportunity to play a '73 SVT that came straight from a Motown Studio on our last album and was blown away!

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The SVT 2 Pro and a vintage SVT are a little different sounding...hard for me to put in words but maybe 2 Pro sounds slightly thicker and more compressed or something like that...but I love them both and I don't consider it a night and day difference, though some do. If I had my choice, I'd go vintage or VR, but I certainly wouldn't turn down a deal on a CL or a 2 Pro.

9. True, that being said there are a lot of really good tube heads out there. Peavey does the trick for me. I love my Classic 400, but they are not in production anymore. The VB-2 can be had for very reasonable prices and is an all tube offering. The VB-3 on the other hand is tough to find, I have never even seen one let alone played through one.

10. VB-3 - Yet it's advertised in every Bass Player issue for the last 5 months.
    Wish I could try one!

11. FenderBassman001.
    that is all

12. maxschrek

maxschrek Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN.
    HIWATT DR103, I traded my 1972 SVT for two of these (both 1973 vintage) in 1992...never looked back since.

T

13. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Ive owned a vintage svt, a couple of svt-cl's, v4b's, a v4bh or two, an ad200b, and one rebuilt by electric amps, and a traynor..plus Ive played thru many others. The only thing ive kept is the 300T!..it definately needs the right tubes in it. At first I thought it was "ok", but then I dropped winged c's in it and suddenly it breathed to life! There are 2 in the classifieds right now. Get a roadcase for it.......and a roadie.

If I had the beans id pick up a spare!