Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Favourite Yes album?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bass87, Apr 17, 2003.

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  2. Time and a Word

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. The Yes album

9 vote(s)
    22.0%
  4. Fragile

9 vote(s)
    22.0%
  5. Close to the Edge

11 vote(s)
    26.8%
  6. Tales from the Topographic Oceans

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  7. Relayer

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  8. Going for the One

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  9. Tormato

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Drama

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  11. 90125

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
  12. Big Generator

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  13. Union

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. I've recently got into Yes, having bought the Yes album and Close to the Edge, which are IMO their best two albums. Chris Squire really impresses me as a bass player and songwriter, and all the others are extremely taltented musicians. So which is your favourite Yes album, if you were to just pick one?

By the way, I'm going to see them in July, can't wait! Any other TB'ers going?

2. babecker

babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    Gotta go with Fragile, if only because I'm the most familiar with it. Nice unique bass work all the way through.

3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Close to the Edge

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Relayer.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Typical poll - the option I would have said is not there!! :(

I like YesSongs for nostalgia - as it reminds me of going to see Yes play this stuff in 1974 with friends at an outdoor concert in London - it was a great day!!

6. I have to say the Yes Album. I love CTTE, Relayer, GFTO, Fragile, Yessongs, Yesshows, Drama, Yes, Time and a Word....

OK so I like them all. I haven't heard anything much past Big Generator...and don't really care too much for Tales and Tormato.

I also saw them in 1974, the Relayer tour, with Patrick Moraz on keys.

I used to tell people - 'I'm the biggest Yes fan you'll ever meet!' :D :D

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Virtually 30 years ago!! These guys must be really old by now!! ;)

8. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    I agree with Yessongs as my fav. It seems though that most people aren't all that thrilled with Tormato. I'm finding that lately, out of all my Yes albums, Tormato is getting the most play time. I love songs like Cirucs of Heaven and Onward.

I've always thought that Big Generator doesn't get the credit it's due. I think there are some great songs on that album as well.

Lastly, the poll is missing all of the recent Yes albums. Their latest, Magnification, is a wonderful record.

9. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

Fragile

Close to the Edge

10. I'd have to say definitely this one:

[​IMG]

followed by this one:

[​IMG]

11. Ok sorry for missing out some of their albums, I tried to put on all their studio ones :(

12. Yessongs
    Relayer
    Tales of Topographic Oceans

13. This is from around '77 or '78, concert in the round.

Taken from on-stage with a Kodak Pony IV.

14. Here's another.

Sorry for the fuzziness, the only prints I have are small and I can't blow up the scans without them getting like this- or worse.

15. I should check some of these out. My bass teacher got me listening to a little bit of Yes.

Quick hijacking of thread: Whats a good bass-song from Yes?

Thanks a bunch!

16. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    Close to the Edge or roundabout

17. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    my fav. would be CTTE with fragile and Yes right behind

18. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    There's no way I could pick just one, so it's a 3-way tie:

The Yes Album
    Fragile
    Close To The Edge

fretless5,
    Did you happen to snap any of Chris playing his tripleneck Wal? If so, please show the pics.

19. I've only just gotten into Yes by my dad, who's a big fan of Rick Wakeman (he's had his photo taken with Rick twice, both times having to stand on something because Wakeman's just so damned tall), and I have to say I haven't listened to any studio albums because they're all on vinyl and I don't have a turntable. However, I'm going to say that Yessongs and Keys To Ascension (spelling) are my favourites.
    Favourite song would have to be out of Long Distance Runaround/The Fish, Close To the Edge or Owner of a Lonely Heart.

20. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Must post these pics again.

Though "Prog-Rock" smacked me in the face with The Yes Album. Whatta Great Band!