Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Faxing things when you don't own a fax machine...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Davidoc, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Does anyone know if there's a way to "fake" a fax using a computer? Eg, if there's a program that will send documents as if they were faxed? I'm trying to send a summer internship application.

2. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

Its not too hard. I'm going to assume that you're running Windows.

If you have a document that you want to fax, like a Word document or a PDF, just go to file->print and when you get to the print setup menu select "Fax" from the printer list. It should take you through a fax wizard and you're done.

3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

That's done by installing a fax printer driver in your system. I think Windows XP has a built-in one, but never tried it (I don't trust native Windows utilities). When you have that installed, simply open the document you want to fax and print it, but instead of selecting your "real" printer for that, select the fax printer driver. It will show you a dialog box for entering the phone number and all the relevant data. You don't need an Internet connection for this, but a fax modem connected to a phone line is required.

Here's a freeware fax printer driver:

http://www.download.com/iPrint2Fax/3000-2381_4-10156251.html?tag=lst-0-4

Hope this helps.

4. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

Alvaro brought up a good point, you need a fax modem to do it. If your computer has a normal 56k dialup modem in it, it should do the job.

5. Thanks for the info! I just dropped $5.25 for a PCI fax modem from newegg. :p

6. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hmm... that isn't really freeware. It asks you to create an account for sending faxes through the Net.

Since I can't find a real freeware fax printer driver (lots of good shareware though), here's how to send faxes using Windows' native utility (in case it doesn't appear in your printers' list):

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/crawford_02october21.mspx

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    A few people use eFax here at work.

-Mike

8. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    efax

9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I use efax and it works great, both for sending and receiving. Let's you pick any area code you want your "receiving" fax number to be in, and that beats the heck out of paying for a dedicated landline just to receive faxes.

10. I just recieved the modem and configured my OS for faxing, but it didn't work, most likely because I can't dial long-distance numbers from my dorm room without a calling card. Oops. I'll have to email the document to my dad and he'll fax it at work.