FB4 modulus flea bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by priggs, Mar 2, 2005.

1. priggs

Mar 2, 2005
    I want to get an FB4 but cant afford one.
    I play a lot of rock and funk ala Chili Peppers and am after a bass which is good for slapping and has a tight poppy sound.
    Are there any cheaper alternatives to get a similar sound as the flea bass?
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    mtd kingston would be a good choice
  3. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Look for basses with a maple fingerboard. Also consider getting something with a single Music Man style pickup in the bridge position. A jazz bass would probably be fine as well, especially wired in parallel.
  4. blaire

Jul 15, 2003
    The land of Rice
    of course a stingray would be the next best thing. Thats what Flea used to play before he got the modulus sig bass. A lot cheaper than a mod too. Tight and poppy ,sweet basses.
  5. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Funny on this, i belive that flea doesnt even has a single bass for recording or live that has a maple fretboard :D
  6. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    For two really good (but sometimes hard-to-find) options, go for an Ibanez ATK300 or a Peavey G-Bass - they crop up on Ebay from time to time. The ATK nails the MM sound, and the G-Bass does a pretty good job of nailing the Flea Bass sound, thanks to the graphite neck and single humbucker.

Russ :bassist:
  7. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Musicman SUB maybe????
  8. Szipmonk

May 11, 2004
    You can surely get a good used MM Stingray for far less than a Modulus Flea. I was playing a Stingray with a rosewood fretboard yesterday and the slap tone sounded great. Getting a bass with a rosewood, instead of maple, fretboard won't necessarily get you a good slap tone. It helps though.
  9. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX

I think this is probably the most affordable way to get his sound
  10. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I picked up a 2000 Lane Poor equipped Modulus Flea bass right here on talkbass for $900.

If what you really want is a Modulus Flea 4, consult the used market.
  11. If you are going to go for a musicman stingray or something, which when I was looking at them last year were going new for $1,200 - $1,300, you might as well pay a little extra and go for a flea bass. I got mine from bass central brand new with the badass II bridge and aguliar preamp for $1,999. Or if you really want a flea bass look on ebay for a used one, they'll cost about as much as a stingray.
  12. 11Bravo

11Bravo In That Pocket

Feb 4, 2005
    I was thinking about trading my sr5 for a elric gold 4 standard+$100,do you think thats a good deal?