1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)
  2. The purpose of this forum is to solicit input on newsletter content.  Paul L. from Threadloom (threadloom_paul) is testing algorithms that will select threads to feature as "popular" in upcoming weekly emails.  He has access to this forum and will be posting here shortly.  Thanks! - Paul D.

FB4 modulus flea bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by priggs, Mar 2, 2005.

1. priggs

priggs

Mar 2, 2005
    I want to get an FB4 but cant afford one.
    I play a lot of rock and funk ala Chili Peppers and am after a bass which is good for slapping and has a tight poppy sound.
    Are there any cheaper alternatives to get a similar sound as the flea bass?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    mtd kingston would be a good choice

3. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Look for basses with a maple fingerboard. Also consider getting something with a single Music Man style pickup in the bridge position. A jazz bass would probably be fine as well, especially wired in parallel.

4. blaire

blaire

Jul 15, 2003
    The land of Rice
    of course a stingray would be the next best thing. Thats what Flea used to play before he got the modulus sig bass. A lot cheaper than a mod too. Tight and poppy ,sweet basses.

5. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Funny on this, i belive that flea doesnt even has a single bass for recording or live that has a maple fretboard :D

6. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    For two really good (but sometimes hard-to-find) options, go for an Ibanez ATK300 or a Peavey G-Bass - they crop up on Ebay from time to time. The ATK nails the MM sound, and the G-Bass does a pretty good job of nailing the Flea Bass sound, thanks to the graphite neck and single humbucker.

Russ :bassist:

7. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Musicman SUB maybe????

8. Szipmonk

Szipmonk

May 11, 2004
    NYC
    You can surely get a good used MM Stingray for far less than a Modulus Flea. I was playing a Stingray with a rosewood fretboard yesterday and the slap tone sounded great. Getting a bass with a rosewood, instead of maple, fretboard won't necessarily get you a good slap tone. It helps though.

9. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    +1

I think this is probably the most affordable way to get his sound

10. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I picked up a 2000 Lane Poor equipped Modulus Flea bass right here on talkbass for $900.

If what you really want is a Modulus Flea 4, consult the used market.

11. If you are going to go for a musicman stingray or something, which when I was looking at them last year were going new for $1,200 - $1,300, you might as well pay a little extra and go for a flea bass. I got mine from bass central brand new with the badass II bridge and aguliar preamp for $1,999. Or if you really want a flea bass look on ebay for a used one, they'll cost about as much as a stingray.

12. 11Bravo

11Bravo In That Pocket

Feb 4, 2005
    Oklahoma
    I was thinking about trading my sr5 for a elric gold 4 standard+$100,do you think thats a good deal?