1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FBass Alain Caron fretless 5 - AC5

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Jerry J, Sep 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I've done some serious soul searching lately and have decided that I will not be able to play a fretless bass like one of my main bass heros, Alain Caron. I'm feeling that even if I had another lifetime of time I wouldn't be able to approach that level of talent.

This bass was kind of a "holy grail" bass for me and it certainly doesn't disappoint in any way. The craftsmanship that George put into this bass is highly evident. Although I am no expert I can't think of another fretless bass that is better at what it does than this bass.

So after all the considerations, I have decided to put my AC5 up for sale. I have convinced myself to do this to pay down some of the debt that I seem to keep dragging around. So I am not interested in any trades, please.

FBassAC5002.jpg
    FBassAC5004.jpg
    FBassAC5006.jpg

The only real issues that I can find are that there are several places where the satin finish has taken on a gloss. I contacted George about this and he suggested fine sandpaper but I just can't bring myself to do that. Also there are some light string markings on the ebony fingerboard which don't affect playability.

My time may be somewhat limited on this since my job may require to be away from home for quite a few weeks at a time. So bear with me please.

the price on the AC5 is $3700 plus actual shipping. I estimate, based on recent FedEx shipping to be around $60. But I've been suprised lately how shipping to certain areas of the US has been insane. So I will need your zip code to figure shipping.

2. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    holy grail for you, holy ---- for me. Beauty. Wish I had the buckage to spring for something of that caliber. bump!

& I couldn't help but notice your sig - My condolences to your family. I know what it's like to lose a brother, young. The healing takes a long while, but with prayer and patience, you'll get there.

3. Bollenator

Bollenator The Ersatz Haderach

Jun 2, 2010
    Western Washington
    I think that belongs in a sig somewhere...

EDIT: Done.

4. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    I've been sigged. Now I can die. :D

another BUMP for the bass

5. ubado

ubado

Mar 7, 2007
    FL
    That pretty much sums it up. :cool:

6. guns5

guns5

Oct 11, 2009
    wow !

7. Footie

Footie

Apr 2, 2004
    Camas, WA
    Aaaaaaarrrrrggghh!!! I have played this bass and it's fretless heaven. The tone is unreal!! Someone is going to have one of the most smoking fretless basses ever.

Good luck with the sale Jerry.

8. widjajar

widjajar

Apr 21, 2003
    Wow Jerry!....the bass is insanely BEAUTIFUL!!.....
    Good luck with the sale man!................

9. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Thank you all for the complements on the bass. This just makes it that much tougher to give up.

Man, if I could play half as good as Sean did when he played this bass I would be keeping it for sure. And Sean isn't even a fretless player but he just rocked on it.

10. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I am going to be out of town after next week (10/30 to 12/28) until the end of the year so I will leave this up until then.

11. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    bump

12. tomd03

tomd03

Oct 8, 2004
    Alberta Canada
    If I could afford it I'd pick this up in a minute, without question. Sadly, I cannot so all I can offer is this bump haha. Best of luck.

13. Vakmere

Vakmere

Sep 6, 2007
    Philly
    What am I doing in here? I can't be looking at things like this....... Beautiful curves, nice color, I have to go.

14. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Contributor- Bass Musician Magazine
    bump for the most killin fretless on the planet. This is the be-all end-all of fretless basses IMO, I love my AC5 more every time I pick it up. Someone oughtta do themselves a favor and snatch this thing up quick :)

15. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    This is so true Jake. Out of my four fretless basses (Zon 5, Rob Allen MB-2 and a flippin' killin' Conklin Jake Kot signature 4-string) the AC5 just blows them away. The depth of tone and the various settings with the preamp and the piezo bridge is insane.

I am leaving Thursday for the extended work on the road this Thursday so I will probably go ahead and close this thread since I won't be able to ship the bass anytime soon. Maybe after I get back from my business trip I will have come to my senses and just keep the bass.

Thank you anyway for the bumps fellas!

16. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    It's beginning to look like I might be home (FINALLY) after January 1st. So I am going to open this ad again. I'll probably have to head out after a few days at home, though so my time will be really limited unfortunately.

17. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I am back home after a miserable flight back to Portland on January 1st.

I am flying out on January 6th for at least a month in Austin, TX so I thought I would bump this.

I do have a TB'er interested in the Alain Caron and have said that I would give him first right of refusal if another buyer comes along. The current perspective buyer is going to the NAMM show to check the FBasses and the Alain Caron 5 out before making a commitment.

I would like to ship this out before this Thursday if someone else wants it. It would just make life much easier on me.

18. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I'm still away from home for work but thought that I would bump this since it's been awhile.

19. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    bump

20. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    you know, brother, you don't have to be a smokin' player to play a smokin' bass...
    just sayin'.

But I sure do understand needing to pay down debt, so "good luck with this" bump.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.